What Do You Do With Your Used Glass Jars?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
We can everything, because we live off the garden; sauces, salsas, jams, pickles, green beans, etc... I have my grand parent's collection of jars as well as I have picked up people's jars after they passed away, obituary scores. I keep a lot of them in the barn as they get used. But, when it is time to use them, I run them through a wash in the sink and rinse with Clorox water, and waterbath them before using for foods.

For tobaccos, I will turn the oven on 200F, and soak them in there for a bit before refilling with tobacco. 140F for 10 minutes is the minimum for killing the worst of the bacteria and mold spores. That is pasteurization minimum as well. Plus, a little heat helps set the seal.
I too have my grandparents canning supplies. My grandfather taught me to garden. Picked some up from friends that didn't take up canning. Seems to be a dying art. I will go as far as boiling the jars if I'm storing tobacco in them. Off topic...I can the left over juice from the tomates. Pour in a pot, sprinkle in some corn starch to thicken and you have soup Campbell's can't touch.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I reuse them. I washed them out by hand with soap and water. I rinse them out really, really well. Let them air-dry.
I reuse the bands, but I do buy new lids.

This may just be a quirk of mine, but I don't trust the dishwasher with my tobacco storage. Occasionally i have seen film left in some glassware that I use when I have held it up to the light. Streaks and such. I don't want that sitting in with my tobacco for years, and years.

So yes, I'm willing to have film on the plates, utensils, and glassware I use on a daily basis, but not my precious tobacco containers. ?

I am also a tobacco whore, very promiscuous, so I regularly have about 20+ things open that I am dipping into. If I didn't use glass jars what I have open would certainly dry out beyond what I prefer.

That has been the case for a decade, and I don't see that changing in the future, so I will always need some jars on hand. ?

I mostly use 8 oz jars, but I do have some 4 oz that I us too.

Last edited:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I too have my grandparents canning supplies. My grandfather taught me to garden. Picked some up from friends that didn't take up canning. Seems to be a dying art. I will go as far as boiling the jars if I'm storing tobacco in them. Off topic...I can the left over juice from the tomates. Pour in a pot, sprinkle in some corn starch to thicken and you have soup Campbell's can't touch.
Boiling the jars will definitely sterilize the jars and make them safe for reuse.

Reactions: wyfbane and B.Fee

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Boiling the jars will definitely sterilize the jars and make them safe for reuse.
Boiling does not sterilize. There are mold spores that can survive boiling water. Sterilization requires steam, higher temps and pressure. A home pressure cooker will do the job. Is it necessary, though? Nope.
John, however. is a rebel. A man living on the edge. I wouldn’t go there. He’s a bad a*** MF, just stuffing new baccy in old jars. Brutal.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, damn, caught out again. I try to look docile and all friendly, but am more fiendly.

How's this for bad a** m.f.?:
I had mold in a bag of Planta Full English six months ago. I threw away the moldy bits, resealed the bag, and just opened it last night. Voila! A half pound of fine aged tobacco which I have been smoking for a day now. OMG!!!

If I am hereafter absent, you'll know the mold got me...