Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Let's see...
House painter, electrician, jeweler for close to 10 years, stringer, photographer.
Worked in film and TV for over 40 years originally as a matte painter, later as a VFX art director, VFX supervisor, and headed two studio art departments.
These days I mostly work with animals, a duck, a wabbit, a couple of mice, a couple of cats, several dogs, a Tasmanian devil, etc. Occasionally I work with a few superheroes, a Martian, and I'll be working with a psychopathic killer starting in late May. The usual stuff.

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
Let's see...
House painter, electrician, jeweler for close to 10 years, stringer, photographer.
Worked in film and TV for over 40 years originally as a matte painter, later as a VFX art director, VFX supervisor, and headed two studio art departments.
These days I mostly work with animals, a duck, a wabbit, a couple of mice, a couple of cats, several dogs, a Tasmanian devil, etc. Occasionally I work with a few superheroes, a Martian, and I'll be working with a psychopathic killer starting in late May. The usual stuff.
My paternal grandfather was a career jeweler and watchmaker in Hawaii during the 20's then later Irvine in the 40's. In his spare time he was a pipe smoker, civil war historian and woodworker. Some of the KOA wood pieces he made from the Hawaii days is amazing including a tobacco table I still use to this day.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have done a lot of things to bring in the money. I was a professional mountaineer and product designer, charter boat captain in the BVI's, Orvis fishing guide, cowboy/rancher. My main job was/is security for various government agencies and private companies. I backed into this from my time in the Navy. Trying to retire and spend far more time with my cows and horses.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I started in business when I was 16. I went to Boston University for 2 years and somehow got an associates degree. I dropped out and broke my old mans heart as I was being groomed to go into the family law firm. I hated school, after the birth of my 4 kids, the day I quit was the next best day in my life. I still had a business going when I went into the jewelry industry as a mfgs. rep. I was on the road and New England was my territory. I did well but had a falling out with my boss because I closed a deal in one visit and he tells me he had been trying to close them for 2 years so he said it was a house deal and I didn't get paid.

I found another job real quick and told him to piss off. That job was the car business and it was like going to heaven as all the customers came to me, I didn't have to go chasing customers. I did really well and after starting in the middle of February, I was the number one salesman in April. I became a truck manager, sales manager and finance and insurance manager and did well until 1990 and the recession. We went from 200-250 cars sols a moth down to 85 and they were all a grind.

I then opened my first business a pool hall that was high class and had the best location in the state of R.I. In 1994 I bought the plaza where the pool hall was and business was great. I closed the pool hall after a 20 year run. The online gaming was killing the pool halls around the country. I closed mine and then rented out the space. I decided Rhode Island was going down the tubs as normally if I had an open space I could rent it 3 months or so. My last tenant took a year and then I sold the plaza. SInce August 2017, I have been retired. If I had waited and had to deal with the virus, I would have had a tough time. My timing was good. I look once and a while at the commercial real estate in R.I and it has tanked. It doesn't seem possible that I am 63 and only had 3 real jobs. I don't count summer jobs. My private job in h.s and college and in the car biz was closed in 1990 when I had my first kid.

Forgot to add I still hold the record for cars sold and delivered at a large dealership near Boston. 38 cars in one month That was September 1986. No one will ever break it.

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
Just curious what avocations, professions, crafts, jobs people on this forum are engaged in (or used to be for the lucky retirees) and can you smoke on the job? I’m an attorney in the financial services (hedge fund) industry and most definitely not able to smoke at work. When I worked as a corporate attorney at a big law firm i used to go downstairs occasionally to smoke a cigarette when it got unbearable (after the which was often) but gave that up a long time ago.
couldn't really smoke at work. gave up cigs in favor of a pipe anyway a long time ago

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
I grew up in my father's jewelry store, and from when I was 9 years old up until I graduated high school, I worked in with him in all matters of jewelry repair and production. I hated it. Chained to a workbench doing the same thing over and over all day. So, when I graduated and went off to college, I went into the arts, history, studio, and aesthetics. I just stayed in college until I had my PHD, and published for a while. But, instead of working in a college as another professors of future professors, I started my own studio, painting and printmaking. I ran that out of an old warehouse for a few years and travelled in an old bread van setting up at art shows and galleries and sleeping in the back like a gypsy. I made a good living at it. I also picked up all sorts of design jobs from friend who worked in the graphics field; product designs and some industrial stuff. I managed to sell my work, travel and raise two daughters by myself till I met my "forever wife".

Mrs. Cosmic was running a bead shop when I met her, and she encouraged me to get back into metalsmithing, so I started combining my art that I was making with jewelry designs. So, I bought the shop next to hers, eventually we combined the stores, got involved in the community BPA, helped get all sorts of things done in our town. I inherited some family land that I set up a farm on outside of town. I also took on coaching a debate team at the high school, and I sometimes will teach metalsmithing to various art organizations that are willing to pay me. I also was getting asked to do benchwork for other jewelry stores that had stopped having a bench jeweler on staff.

Eventually, I was making more money doing all of the side things than the store, and dealing with customers face to face is exhausting after a few decades. So, we closed the store. I had a studio built in my backyard, and all I have to do is roll out of bed and walk out to my studio and work on days that I have things that need doing. I still drive around and collect repair jobs from all of the stores in my area that don't have benchies. I still do a few art shows a year to show off my jewelry. Some of my work is at the stores I serve also. But, the farming, coaching, and teaching metalsmithing are just sort of my hobbies at this point. I enjoy them for what they are, but thank heavens I don't have to rely on any of that for my money.

I love what I do, and I am proud of what I have accomplished. I tell my kids to find something they love doing and follow their passions with it. There is absolutely no such thing as a starving artist, unless that person just has no drive at all. Even the worst painters sell something at every show. If you follow something you are passionate about, doors will open along the way, unless you are just blind to the possibilities. I may not be remembered as an artist influential on human history, but I have sculpted my own life... and that's something.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Cos, you must have heard of The House of Bangles on w46th in NYC. They have the goods and I repped them . One of my first stops with them in my sample bag was Longs Jewelry stores, I think they had 2. I sold them 15,000 worth in less than 20 minutes as they had never seen bangles like these and they loved the fact I came to them. Imagine 14kt gold was around 400.00 a Troy Ounce. I got paid 15% on that account.

The longest I took to landing someone was 7 freaking times. The prick wouldn't even look at my stuff. Finally I lost it,and walked right in and began laying trays on his display cabinets. He asked about 5 times what I was doing as he was checking out all the goodies.

He wrote an order for around 10-20 grand. I taught him to quadruple keystone, take 50% off and double your money. The first time he ran the sale he calls me and can barely get a sentence out he did that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.