PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I got some Boveda bags somewhere and a lot of empty tupperware. Is there a MacGuyver here who can explain how I can make a makeshift humidor?
A couple of things to add to Danimalia's excellent advice:
--Make sure the tupperware is super-clean! Otherwise the Boveda might pull some weird smells from it and impart them upon your cigars.
--If you have any Spanish cedar veneer lying around from an old cigar box or something, throw that in there too. It will help lend the tupperdor a humidor-like aroma and fight the plastic-smell.
--Store it in a drawer or out of the light (if you have enough cedar veneer, you can kind of line the sides of the tupperware to protect your sticks from UV).

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
RoMa Craft CroMagnon Aquitaine Mode 5 Perfecto -- that's a lot of capital letters. Liked this stick, reminded me a lot of the Oliva Serie V. The cone-head, with the thick wrapper (8th and 9th priming), kept making me think I didn't have a grip on it with my teeth. Was afraid I might lose it in a shit-pile.
IMG_8113.JPG

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
u3KdD7T.jpg

Padron 1926 Serie was the first cigar I smoked when I was seriously thinking about getting into cigars. It is still one of my most favorite cigars. It is fairly strong, but due to the aged tobaccos it is very very smooth. I get some sweetness on retrohale. Flawless construction... every single one I ever smoked. Confession... I take of the bands before I light my cigars. I was pre-occupied and lit the wrong end of this one. It was still a 100/100 smoke!

Trouble you boys for a quick impression of each? I have a couple in the tupperdor waiting to be smoked...

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Trouble you boys for a quick impression of each? I have a couple in the tupperdor waiting to be smoked...
Sure. The OpusX line seems to vary a bit depending on the size, but each seems to share a primarily nutty, woody profile with a touch of honey-like sweetness. Like all Fuentes, it's well-balanced. Not a very strong cigar by today's s
standards, but it builds in intensity and richness as it progresses. I like them very much and always try to snag a couple when they're in season, but haven't been tempted to try to buy a box given availability and price constraints. The Anejo line is basically the maduro version, but I don't think they're as good. I like Fuente in general, and would rank OpusX and the Rosado Sungrown Magnum R lines as my favorites.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Smoked an Oliva Serie V Melanio No. 4 for the first time while observing a new calf. It was all good, but I found that only the middle third was excellent. The dry papery texture of the wrapper reminded me of a Padron 1964, even though this is Sumatra. Think I prefer the flavor profile/wrapper of the classic Serie V.
IMG_8176.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.