What, Currently, is Similar to Penzance?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HadenB

Lurker
Jun 5, 2023
Huntsville, AL
Started smoking pipe tobacco around 2010ish in Atlanta. The selection and availability of pipe tobacco was overwhelming!! I quickly zeroed in on Penzance, 1792, FVF, Nightcap, etc. Was sidelined by cigars, and have just now started to get back into pipe tobacco. Question is, what is currently on the market that is the closest to Penzance? Just chasing a good old memory…

Attachments

• IMG_8096.jpeg
    IMG_8096.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 2

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I haven't really found anything with as high a latakia content as Penzance--perhaps others will chime in--however, Brebbia Latakia Flake No. 9 has a pretty good amount of latakia, as does Arango Balkan Supreme.

Reactions: ram74 and ak2000

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A forums member, SBC, sent me Esoterica Tilbury, Virginia with burley as a condiment, and wow, it is remarkable. I've never smoked Penzance, but taking Nightcap as a cue, I'd recommend your trying C&D blends Stratfordshire, Tuggle Hall, Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd (with cigar leaf), Bayou Night and its sister blend Mountain Camp, with the same tobaccos in different proportions.

I do like my burley, but if you tolerate it, these are fine blends, along with Peterson 3-P and Irish Flake.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.

Lots of input on this topic in the past. There are other threads as well.
Best of luck

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I, for one, think GLP Quiet Nights is not only a good substitute for Penzance, but superior to it it nearly every way. Just my .02
View attachment 226623
It's interesting how tastes differ. I love Penzance and the Pease English and Balkan Blends, e.g., Charing Cross, Ravens' Wing, Samarra, Odyssey, Blackpoint, Bohemian Scandal and Caravan, but not Quiet Nights.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have to agree with @cosmicfolklore on this. Penzance seems unique to me—nothing quite tastes like it; it can be hard to wrap your head around its flavours and that quality alone makes it so interesting to me. A lot of other blends taste like other blends, a little more this and less of that, but Penzance is its own thing. I dig it, but just wish it was easier to get.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
The closest sub is Special Latakia Flake, followed by Smoker's Haven Our Best Blend ... both also made by Esoterica.

I've seen folks recommend GLP QN, GLP Meridian, SPC PP, etc. etc. These are all good blends, but Penzance subs they are not. That's not even to say that they are not as good. It's just to say that they are different.

Penzance melds Orientals and Latakia in a cohesive oily creaminess that is wholly unique.

Special Latakia Flake really is close, but never gained the same cult following, so you may be able to score a tin of that.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
TryOld Ironsides. Penzance is sweeter I think but at least Ironsides has the flake thing going.

A less helpfully suggestion is Germain's Special Latakia Flake. However, it too is a unicorn like Penzance and is also not as sweet I don't think.
My wife bought me Old Ironsides and I love it. It didn't remind me of Penzance per se, but I can see where you're coming from.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
The closest sub is Special Latakia Flake, followed by Smoker's Haven Our Best Blend ... both also made by Esoterica.

I've seen folks recommend GLP QN, GLP Meridian, SPC PP, etc. etc. These are all good blends, but Penzance subs they are not. That's not even to say that they are not as good. It's just to say that they are different.

Penzance melds Orientals and Latakia in a cohesive oily creaminess that is wholly unique.

Special Latakia Flake really is close, but never gained the same cult following, so you may be able to score a tin of that.
I haven't tried Special Latakia Flake but having tried the other blends you mentioned by Esoterica and Pease, I concur that Penzance is rather unique in comparison, based on my own experience.

Reactions: ram74 and yanoJL
Status
Not open for further replies.