PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
I've come full circle and have begun to really enjoy their Cafe line. I had the good fortune recently to have one that was about 20 years old and it had aged magnificently. It reminded me of a Fuente Angel's Share a lot, especially with the unique creamy lemon note.
I’ll try to grab one if I’m ever in a shop. I’m just trying everything I can right now and seeing what’s what. So far I liked My Cuban Wheel. I may pick up a box down the road. No room for more cigars atm though.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
I rode 21 miles 877kcal and had a Windy's spicy Asiago club extra bacon and fries?

Now smoking an Aldino vintage selection Rothschild. I bought a fiver of these and love them for the flavor and cold weather smoke time. So much so I grabbed a box of 50 when they went on sale from a popular online retailer, less than $5 a stick.

20210227_164817.jpg

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Early 00 El Rey del Mundo Lonsdale. Back then, Habanos SA put out lots of great, classic vitolas that were fairly priced and an utter treat for the gourmand. In 2006, they overhauled their QA/QC process and things were looking up.

Then, they started axing all of these wonderful smokes that had been produced for decades, and started putting out the endless parade of limited edition and regional releases that are way over priced; the vitolas started getting fatter, which amounts to nothing more than stuffing nearly-flavorless volado priming to beef up the size (and price). Now, once-classic brands like Sancho Panza and La Gloria Cubana and, case in point, El Rey del Mundo, are all but retired marcas. They deleted the ERdM Tainos, only to resurrect it as a regional edition for 3x the price. Same with the Ramon Allones 898. It's insulting, but must be turning a profit, else why would they do it?

I'm smoking this cigar in tribute to my enjoyment of Havana cigars. I've had a good run with them, but considering the direction they are taking the business, I realize they are perhaps 5 or 6 discontinuations away from removing me from their demographic completely. Once my current stash is exhausted (which will take quite a few years, admittedly), I'm done buying Havanas until and unless they start producing more skinnies, not less, and as regular production, not some micro batch that requires either pointed chasing, or the purchase at secondary pricing from scalpers.

This is a symphony of sugarcane, smooth cedar, exotic woods, creamy and nutty character, with shots of honeyed cake, mild pepper and espresso, and even some fruitiness and saltiness from time to time. The whole experience is underlain by a musky quality that only aged Havanas can provide. I can make do with some of the Dominican offerings, but "cubanesque" is a farce - there are no cigars that can match what Cuba produces. To me, it is the best black (cigar) tobacco in the world, bar none.
IMG_20210228_091732972.jpg

Viaje Zombie Green- Excellent flavor, but I was Seriously underwhelmed the last time I smoked it. Poor, shoddy construction which I think is borderline criminal when they charged top $ per stick. I would take Padron 1926 and Oliva Serie V Melanio over it any day. I wrote it off as Marketing hype - All sound and no substance.

Will see if my opinion change todayDA525871-5982-4C43-9710-FC2205CD11D2.jpeg

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Viaje Zombie Green- Excellent flavor, but I was Seriously underwhelmed the last time I smoked it. Poor, shoddy construction which I think is borderline criminal when they charged top $ per stick. I would take Padron 1926 and Oliva Serie V Melanio over it any day. I wrote it off as Marketing hype - All sound and no substance.

Will see if my opinion change todayView attachment 68409
Poor construction plagued initial Viaje releases (chiefly the gold and silver lines), and I never looked back after sampling those. Have been honestly surprised to see the brand still in production. Perhaps they addressed the QC issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.