PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
What did you think of it overall? Been meaning to try it after hearing some good things. I have liked the cigars I've had from that Tabacalera Pichardo that Crowned Heads has been working with, especially the Pichardo Clasico with the Ec. Sumatra wrapper.
I liked it. Very smooth and pretty damned sweet at first, mild, creamy, chocolate. It seemed to gain strength as I smoked. Big cigar, draw was perfect and smoked without any corrections. I have one more but I could see getting more. Recommend.

Flavor was unique but it has different filler tobacco than I've had. Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Peru.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I've never had the Graycliff 10 Year Vintage, but I looked it up. Looks like it is still available? CT. Broadleaf wrapper with Nicaraguan and Honduran guts. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, this won't help but the Liga Privada No. 9 has similar components. Same with The Tabernacle. There are plenty of good Broadleaf wrapped Nicaraguans. I suggest Enclave Broadleaf, Jaime Garcia Reserva, and La Aroma de Cuba. Those are all good.

The Honduran Punch Maduros also have Broadleaf wrappers and filler from Honduras and Nicaragua. They are a solid choice for a very fair price.

Hope this helps.
I should have been much more specific about what I like in the GrayCliff. It has a ton of chocolate/cocoa and some cedar, but without any pepper. Just very smooth and lots of bass notes. Very different than anything I've had before. I did find a box of 15 at Cheap Humidors for $95, which is cheap. We'll see how consistent they are.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I rode 21 miles 877kcal and had a Windy's spicy Asiago club extra bacon and fries?

Now smoking an Aldino vintage selection Rothschild. I bought a fiver of these and love them for the flavor and cold weather smoke time. So much so I grabbed a box of 50 when they went on sale from a popular online retailer, less than $5 a stick.

View attachment 68288
Such intelligent buying! Find something you like and buy big, at an affordable price. Awesome!
Early 00 El Rey del Mundo Lonsdale. Back then, Habanos SA put out lots of great, classic vitolas that were fairly priced and an utter treat for the gourmand. In 2006, they overhauled their QA/QC process and things were looking up.

Then, they started axing all of these wonderful smokes that had been produced for decades, and started putting out the endless parade of limited edition and regional releases that are way over priced; the vitolas started getting fatter, which amounts to nothing more than stuffing nearly-flavorless volado priming to beef up the size (and price). Now, once-classic brands like Sancho Panza and La Gloria Cubana and, case in point, El Rey del Mundo, are all but retired marcas. They deleted the ERdM Tainos, only to resurrect it as a regional edition for 3x the price. Same with the Ramon Allones 898. It's insulting, but must be turning a profit, else why would they do it?

I'm done buying Havanas until and unless they start producing more skinnies.

"Cubanesque" is a farce - there are no cigars that can match what Cuba produces. To me, it is the best black (cigar) tobacco in the world, bar none.
You, sir, are an educated consumer who knows what he likes and why. The vast majority of cigar smokers are anything but that. They will pay more for a fat cigar simply because its robust size is indicative of "more." They have not worked to develop a palate that can discriminate flavors. In short they don't know what they want, and they can easily be led by the nose.

And oh! hasn't modern business, imbued with the culture of greed, become adept at soaking the customer for all they can. Recently I paid $53.00 for an oil change. I kept my mouth shut out of deference to getting along, which has taken me decades to accomplish. But I should have ripped the clerk's face off.

But my point is that greed as the primary driver of business seems to have infected everything, including habanos. The Cuban tobacco farmers and makers and those who have been brought up in this culture, know exactly what to do at every phase production. Left to their own devices they are capable of routinely producing a superior product. They mostly did this until the boom when many corners were cut.

It was not uncommon for farmers who had brought their crop the barn, on seeing a storm on the horizon, would bed down for the night with it.

Cubans were justifiably proud of making a superior product. Do you take such excellence for granted? I don't think so. If you are going to change the process you fold into the mix new processes that will make it better. What a tragedy for this industry. It takes a long time to define the processes that produce quality-decades. But then the lowlifes at the top step in and destroy quality for the sake of a few dollars.

In the world of work one doesn't have much reason to continuously do your best. Such a worker ought be compensated, but not anymore. I was compensated by the magnificent sum of .10/hour. Since the fatcats at the top stopped, for cause, sharing the wealth, one's reason for using excellence as a standard, comes into play. If mgt. won't compensate one at least the worker will know that e did his best.

In today's world one's satisfaction at work comes more and more inwardly, and to a lesser extent, despising the fatcats who make the culture driven by money.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My first Oliva Serie G Cameroon, cigarillo. Very nice little cigar. Burn was absolutely perfect. Nice medium body, strength a bit past medium towards the end. I enjoyed this much better than the Oliva Connecticut
That was one of the first cigars that really clicked with me, and got me hooked on cigars. I remember being delighted that I could pick out a flavor from it, when everything else had just tasted like "cigar." They've achieved classic status, in my mind at least. If you have the time to sit down for 90 minutes or so, I suggest the Churchill vitola. Seems to be especially good in that size.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Had the Oliva Serie V Melanio in robusto size. It was a good earthy/leathery flavor, but somewhat fell flat for me considering the hype it gets on some message boards.
Agree. The few Melanio I've had were much more subtle than I had expected, especially considering they are made with Nicaraguan tobacco. I had some OR figurados and ended up trading the rest away. If you like Nicaraguan tobacco and looking for an Oliva to slap your palate around, the Master Blends may suit you, but be forewarned that it packs a respectable nicotine punch.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Olivia Master Blends I really liked. Once walked into my tobaconnist's humidor, grabbed 5 MB Churchills, walked out and handed him $50. He nodded and we both carried on without a word. I never bought a box but smoked them fairly regularly.
Is that a little or a lot for this blend? Other than some OR someone passed me, ive seen them for a reasonable price on auction

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Is that a little or a lot for this blend? Other than some OR someone passed me, ive seen them for a reasonable price on auction
It depends, I think. The MSRP is pretty high, so at full price, or at a B&M you're looking at a fairly pricy stick, similar to Melanios. But also, like the Melanios, they're pretty easy to find at a discount. Holt's routinely has them for $4-6/stick. The only one I've had, I paid like $17 for at a B&M. I really l liked it, though, and would like to get some more.

@jei64822 I'd also suggest the original Serie V if you thought the Melanio was a bit too flat. It is stronger and fuller in body, IMO. I really like the Melanios, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.