PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
No idea what the hell a Frank Llaneza is, but it was in the clearance box so I grabbed it and lit it up. Enjoyed with a local beer from Liability Brewing here in Greenville.
View attachment 337128
That's actually a pretty rad find. Llaneza was a big wig in Honduran cigars who made a lot of the non Cuban versions of Hoyo de Monterey, Punch, etc. I think it was around 20 years ago when he came out with his own line. Not sure when they stopped making those, but he died in 2010, and I haven't seen any in a real long time.

Here is an obituary from CA.

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
What I want to know is where you get all this awesome cigar-smoking time from... do you have a tardis???
Ha! Had to look that up.

I suppose I'm outside with my dogs quite a bit, weather permitting. And I have a 30-45 minute drive home that I'll smoke on. You might notice that I also tend towards smaller sizes.

After dinner I lit this Melanio #4, took my hounds out back, threw the ball, picked up the yard, walked hounds 5 blocks, and that was that. Maybe an hour or a little more

1000004181.jpg

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
The wife and I are on vacation visiting our families in Maine. We are staying at my cousins camp on a lake. (can you hear the loons calling?) I had planned on packing a few pipes, but at the last minute remembered I had these Macanudo’s in with my tobacco stash. I figured it would be easier, and left the pipes at home.

Not a bad smoke, to my unrefined palate. I will hit a smoke shop tomorrow in the nearby “city” and pick up a few bigger cigars.

Any recommendations for someone who usually prefers mild to medium Connecticut? Something with a hint of cedar, but not too peppery. I doubt the selection will be too exotic around here.

1727004872254.jpeg
1727004965001.jpeg

Last edited:

JoeW

Can't Leave
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
The wife and I are on vacation visiting our families in Maine. We are staying at my cousins camp on a lake. (can you hear the loons calling?) I had planned on packing a few pipes, but at the last minute remembered I had these Macanudo’s in with my tobacco stash. I figured it would be easier, and left the pipes at home.

Not a bad smoke, to my unrefined palate. I will hit a smoke shop tomorrow in the nearby “city” and pick up a few bigger cigars.

Any recommendations for someone who usually prefers mild to medium Connecticut? Something with a hint of cedar, but not too peppery. I doubt the selection will be too exotic around here.

View attachment 337865
View attachment 337867

Sounds like you want some Arturo Fuente goodness: they’re pretty easy to find. I can’t taste mild cigars, but have gotten cedar notes from Chateau Fuente, Hemingway…actually, Hemingway is a good way to go. Curly Head Natural (regular and deluxe) are both good, and cheap. I’ve never had a bad Fuente.

I had an Ashton Cabinet the other night, and got distinct cedar from that too. It was very pleasant.

La Aroma de Cuba Connecticut is also one of my favorites. That and Gran Habano Connecticut are two of the tastier CTs I’ve ever had.

I hope that you’re able to find something good!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
I've had about 5 of the Rare Pinks, and 4 of the 5 were really good, and 1 was just OK and suffered from some construction issues. I think in all those cases there is only a bit of Nicaraguan leaf in the filler. If love to see that sensational Rosado wrapper over an all Nicaraguan blend.

It's so hard to tell with Fuente - they've never been forthcoming about any of their blends. I would agree that the Rare Pinks only seem to have a little bit of Nicaraguan in there. The Naked King I smoked yesterday, however, seemed to be predominantly Nicaraguan filler until I reached the last third, and only then started to get the Dominican oak Olor flavors.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016

View attachment 337865
View attachment 337867
To fit in with the New England theme of your trip, I'd suggest the Charter Oak CT. They are quite nice, and an excellent value. Especially for a cigar that uses a true Connecticut Shade wrapper as opposed to the Connecticut seed wrappers grown in Ecuador, which are more common. I'm not saying true Connecticut wrappers are inherently better than Ecuadorian Connecticut, they're just rarer and tend to be more expensive.

The Chateau Fuente line also uses true CT wrappers. They're a bit mild for my tastes but very good quality and available everywhere.