PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

You better get busy! And let us know your thoughts!

IMG_20230331_155814226.jpg

I've ignored Graycliff cigars since I first began haunting the online cigar auctions, because it was widely known that while being top-shelf cigars when they were rolled in Bahamas at the Graycliff resort, that had largely been outsourced to various factories and a slew of cheap pretenders started showing up with the Graycliff label attached. After so many disparaging reviews, I wrote the brand off as something not worth my time or dollars.

Fast forward to about a year ago, I read a discussion on the now-defunct Cigar Family forum where a couple folks whose palates I respected were talking about how good the original Graycliff Espresso series was. I looked around online and found a ton of retailers selling the familiar old imitators, but a couple retailers who were selling Graycliff that were apparently NOT knockoffs or pretenders to the throne. After a bunch of hemming and hawing, I got a sampler from SBC of three each of their Graycliff "Black Prince" Espresso blend and "White Night" Crystal blend.

The picture above is one of the "White Nights" (I tore the second band off declaring them as such). This is a phenomenal cigar, every bit as good as, say, an aged Davidoff Millennium. There is obviously some very special, unique, and well-aged cigar in the guts of this thing. I figured it was Indonesian, but the spotty info online actually suggests it might be Greek tobacco that is granting me a new experience.

Long story short (too late), these are grand cigars and I hope they are made for a very long time. Last night, I tried one of the Black Prince cigars and it was easily one of the best cigars I've had in years and years, even better than this White Night. Again, quite unique, and made with obviously aged, very high quality tobacco blended to perfection.

I've already ordered a few more Black Princes and if I get a relatively consistent experience, I will be adding a lot more to my humidors. These are not cigars to smoke while mowing the lawn or carrying on with friends - they demand one's full attention. Absolutely worth trying if you like aged cigars and a complex experience that challenges your palate.