Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Soggy weekend here in the 40s so I'm taking the time to reminisce and report on my last two sticks:

Oliva V Double Toro at the local muni course:

zcx6OCGl.jpg

and, a Padron 1964 Principe at the famed Bethpage Courses on Long Island, NY:

Awi6deXl.jpg
Nice, dude.... I'm not much of a golfer these days, but I loved watching the US Open at that course back in 2002, I think? Didn't it kick the players' asses with how tough it was, and some of them acted all "boo hoo" about the raucous New York crowds?

I kind of think the U.S. Open should only be played at public courses like that. I'd like to think that better fits the spirit of the event, but what do I know...

Jun 23, 2019
Nice, dude.... I'm not much of a golfer these days, but I loved watching the US Open at that course back in 2002, I think? Didn't it kick the players' asses with how tough it was, and some of them acted all "boo hoo" about the raucous New York crowds?

I kind of think the U.S. Open should only be played at public courses like that. I'd like to think that better fits the spirit of the event, but what do I know...

That's a great point, would definitely have more of that 'open competition' feel to it - in the same sense that something like the FA Cup in the UK has, there's that 'magical' feeling that anyone who plays the sport in an organized fashion stands a chance to make it all the way "to the top" so to speak.

Yeah, the Black Course at Bethpage was the US Open course and has a sign that warns you of its difficulty:

bethpage-black-hole-1-warning-sign-47734d9e6ec0481b81a2fdb1b1dc6d24.jpg

Kind of reminds me of those Black Diamond signs on ski courses, feels a little silly on a golf course, but Bethpage is a fine fine establishment.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
That's a great point, would definitely have more of that 'open competition' feel to it - in the same sense that something like the FA Cup in the UK has, there's that 'magical' feeling that anyone who plays the sport in an organized fashion stands a chance to make it all the way "to the top" so to speak.

Yeah, the Black Course at Bethpage was the US Open course and has a sign that warns you of its difficulty:

Kind of reminds me of those Black Diamond signs on ski courses, feels a little silly on a golf course, but Bethpage is a fine fine establishment.
Are you visiting NY or do you live nearby? A friend of mine used to work at the Pro shop there.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA

Maybe that is their polite way of telling hacks like me to stay the hell out so that we don't slow everyone down with our repeated 7s and 8s. Are there other courses there better suited to more recreational players?

Jun 23, 2019
Maybe that is their polite way of telling hacks like me to stay the hell out so that we don't slow everyone down with our repeated 7s and 8s. Are there other courses there better suited to more recreational players?

Lol that's probably one side of it. To be fair, if you're smart and play the appropriate tees (I think they have 5 different tee options) it's fairly manageable - lots of doglegs and elevation change but if you don't couple that with the 7100y championship distance, it's not too absurd.

That said, they also have 5 courses of varying difficulty. Only the Black and Red courses are have the reputation of being difficult.

Sep 18, 2015
Smoking a Perdomo 20th anniversary Maduro.

I've been sleeping on Perdomo. Great price, construction, and flavors. I wish they did a smaller ring guage, but so far so good with Perdomo.

View attachment 144457
Lot 23 was a staple of mine for quite a while, the last box I bought was,, different and I was less than Impressed. There’s a few I like when the price is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.