PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Currently smoking Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure no. 2, which is one of my all-time favourites. Pairing it with Chateau Du Tariquet Bas-Armagnac.View attachment 56814
Excellent! Armagnac has been a favorite of mine for many years. Way bigger range of flavors than cognac because of the single distillation, and just plain more fiery. I think of it as the jet-fuel in my cabinet. You ever try it in a smaller-diameter-rimmed glass instead of a classic snifter? They say you get more nuance if your nose isn't blasted directly by the fumes.

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
Fuente Fuente Opus X
h1BxpPql.jpg

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Excellent! Armagnac has been a favorite of mine for many years. Way bigger range of flavors than cognac because of the single distillation, and just plain more fiery. I think of it as the jet-fuel in my cabinet. You ever try it in a smaller-diameter-rimmed glass instead of a classic snifter? They say you get more nuance if your nose isn't blasted directly by the fumes.
I was told by some pinky-out fool that without buying expensive glasses specifically cast for Armagnac that a champagne flutes are ideal.

Now I just wish I could find a better Armagnac selection locally.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Now I just wish I could find a better Armagnac selection locally.
Hard as hell, especially if you live in a state with a liquor control board, like here in Vermont, or Montana, or Virginia... (all places I've lived). But some stores can order you a decent VSOP for half the price of a good bottle of Scotch. St. Vivant isn't bad, for one. But yeah, all those smaller house Armagnacs that I wish I could try -- you only ever find them in the big city. Or Gascony.

AuroraSurrealis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2019
Finland
Yes, I definitely agree on comparison between cognac and armagnac. At least this particular bottling has a broader scale of flavors than most of V.S.O.P cognacs I’ve tried, but still being fairly smooth and delicate drink. I tried it in Glencairn-glass and there certainly was a difference, thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.