PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I had my first CAO Flathead V660 2 hours ago. I made it half way through and it kicked my ass.

I had to stop and was almost to the point of losing dinner.

That said, it had an excellent flavor, though it burned a bit lopsided.

If anyone needs a solid kick in the rear by Lady N, I recommend it.

View attachment 50420
Those are good. And they do seem to be a little on the stout side. I finished mine, but didn’t smoke anything else for a while ?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I like Steve Saka blends and even more so since he started Dunbarton T&T. They admittedly hit premium price points but shouldn't we smoke what we like? Tonight it's a new cigar to me, Sobremesa Brulee "blue".
View attachment 50528
How is it? When the regular Sobremesa came out, the corona and Cervantes finos vitolas gave me a cigar boner like few ever had. Haven't had the Brulee yet. It's a bit dear in price (given my lack of enthusiasm for many CT-shade wrapped sticks) at the local B&M, but I should try it anyway.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
How is it? When the regular Sobremesa came out, the corona and Cervantes finos vitolas gave me a cigar boner like few ever had. Haven't had the Brulee yet. It's a bit dear in price (given my lack of enthusiasm for many CT-shade wrapped sticks) at the local B&M, but I should try it anyway.
I mean, come on, the cap is sweetened. After a short time you don't notice it or it just goes away but the construction is great, draw was really good as it should be for a premium cigar. I'm horrible at describing the flavor profile but it's smooth and creamy to me, a lot of subtle things going on particularly on the retrohale. This is probably one of my favorite vitola. peanuts and citrus grass. Unlike the Mi Querida Fina Largo that kicked my but with N last night this is more on the mild side but tasty. I recommend you try one if you have access.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
So do they live up to the hype? I’ve thought about getting some.
Yes and no. I'd had a Robusto from a friend and liked it very much. I really liked the first half of this one (a Churchill) too, though it went a bit flat after that. It literally arrived in the mail today, so I suspect they'll be more consistent after a bit of rest from the transit. It was CA's #1 cigar of 2019, which is not that surprising as it's dark, box-pressed and has Nicaraguan guts, which seems to correlate with high scores. My theory is they're afraid to potentially give a Padron Anniversary a low rating. Ok, that's a bit tongue in cheek. Even the Robusto I liked so much would probably not be my #1 cigar of any year, but I think it would be worth full price. This one I had today would be more of a "get on sale" recommendation.

TLDR: I'd give the Robusto I had previously something like a 92 and this one more like an 88/89, but hopefully the flat elements will go away. At no point was it unpleasant. Construction and burn are very good, for what that's worth to you.

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
6eflODsl.jpg

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I like Steve Saka blends and even more so since he started Dunbarton T&T. They admittedly hit premium price points but shouldn't we smoke what we like? Tonight it's a new cigar to me, Sobremesa Brulee "blue".
View attachment 50528
I have one of these waiting for a special occasion (the most expensive cigar I have in my meagre collection)...........how was it? Sorry, I see now you answered the question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.