PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
about that chess rating I only play 5.0 blitz and I hover between 16-1800 depending on alcohol intake :)
Wow that’s legit! That’s a pretty serious rating. I’m usually around 1600 -1650. Sometimes 1550 sometimes 1700. You know how it is. Except for me it’s not about alcohol intake it’s about how much my three year old is screaming at me while I’m trying to play 😂

• Haha
Reactions: vosBghos

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My 15 y.o. son finished a rubiks cube. I thought he was a genius, until I found out he used an app that tells ya how. lol
the original packaging came with instructions on how to do it. Basically it's designed as a party trick. Though no one read it at first. When I was a kid I thought they just sent them to each and every single home in the country. If someone didn't have one I assumed they lost theirs.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
the original packaging came with instructions on how to do it. Basically it's designed as a party trick. Though no one read it at first. When I was a kid I thought they just sent them to each and every single home in the country. If someone didn't have one I assumed they lost theirs.
He got it years ago lost all the packaging. He saw it on his shelf and got the app to get it right. When he showed me he said look what I did! I'm like no way really? Yep! How? With an app that guides you through the process of becoming a genius. I was like,....... 😒 So an app that did it for you?

I love him though. lol

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I used to run my son all over creation to cube competitions. His fastest 3x3 time in a competition was 11 seconds. The fastest times I've witnessed live at a competition was at nationals in Salt Lake City several years ago - the top times were in the 5 second range. I'm sure it's faster now.

You should watch these guys solve blindfolded, it's crazy.

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
The first one I had was from Hungary in the late '70s, plain blue box labeled Erno Rubik's magic cube. No instructions.
oh shoot. I was just thinking about the ones when I was a kid. I didn't even realize they were older then that. I thought it was a solidly 1980's thing. Never even heard of Erno and his magic cube. That's pretty cool to know, thanks man.

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
Besides pipe smoking now. I have fly fished for 35 years, fresh and saltwater. I also do oil paintings, some I sell, but I have been doing it for 60 years. Don't hunt anymore.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Sinzalot

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
oh shoot. I was just thinking about the ones when I was a kid. I didn't even realize they were older then that. I thought it was a solidly 1980's thing. Never even heard of Erno and his magic cube. That's pretty cool to know, thanks man.
Erno Rubik was a Hungarian mathematician that invented them in the early '70s to illustrate three dimensional geometry.

Reactions: Egg Shen

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Writing
Demonstrator fountain pens
Bicycle riding
Motorcycles & scooters
Reading theology
Cooking for dinner guests
Gaming in the winter
Shooting, mostly 22's but with 380 and 9mm thrown in for carry practice. Just built my first AR so that will get tossed in the mix.
I'd say hunting but I've never actually hit anything, so I'll just say occasionally walking in the woods in bright orange.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Erno Rubik was a Hungarian mathematician that invented them in the early '70s to illustrate three dimensional geometry.
As stupid as it will sound knew that bit, didn't know they ever sold them with his name connected.
Writing
Demonstrator fountain pens
Bicycle riding
Motorcycles & scooters
Reading theology
Cooking for dinner guests
Gaming in the winter
Shooting, mostly 22's but with 380 and 9mm thrown in for carry practice. Just built my first AR so that will get tossed in the mix.
I'd say hunting but I've never actually hit anything, so I'll just say occasionally walking in the woods in bright orange.
I don't personally hunt but one of my pet peeves is when people denigrate hunting with this it's so easy. Well as long as you don't go to some ranch where you pay lots of money to shoot an animal that has been conditioned to think of humans as the food source. You know that is a bit easy but that isn't hunting. Just had to say that, cause you know like or don't like whatever but at least get the reasons factually correct.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Besides pipe smoking now. I have fly fished for 35 years, fresh and saltwater. I also do oil paintings, some I sell, but I have been doing it for 60 years. Don't hunt anymore.
nice painting is great. I don't sell many but there is something indescribably great about even just physically going about the act of painting and there isn't quite anything like that semi rare moment when you go back and look at a painting a month latter and can't believe you actually pulled off making it. :)

• Love
Reactions: Hunter1

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Well, they are called a "Rubik's" cube. 😁
The Erno part stuck. In my mind Rubiks is a verb not a noun. I just always assumed that when I was a kid and the plasticity of the mind is as amazing for it's flexibility as it for it's often inability to budge on somethings. It's almost like how if I found out your real last name was Chasing and you really are mister Chasing, it would still feel like a nickname.

Reactions: Chasing Embers