Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I collect Modern First Edition books, art books, LPs and CDs (mostly jazz, Punk and New Wave, but, not limited to those genres), original Japanese Jidaigeki (samurai) movie posters; I’m into high-end audio (both stereo and headphone systems), play table tennis regularly, enjoy craft beer, whisky, Vintage Port, and Madeira; I also love cigars, roasting my own coffee, building and shooting pistols (though it’s been ages since going to a range). Also into movies, collecting toys—I’m into all sorts of stuff, too much, probably.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Mine are two vastly different hobbies...

(nerd alert!)
- AM/FM DX'ing - the art of receiving distant radio signals that are very far away and not intended for your area

- Exercise/Weight lifting
I used to enjoy dx-ing a lot on the shortwave bands, sending reception reports and collecting postcards from around the globe. Haven't done so in quite sometime though. I should get back into it.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I enjoy collecting and shooting bolt action military surplus rifles.

I have a dusty collection of some 15k+/- old school MTG cards. I haven't done anything with them for years now except carry them to my new home. Good exercise....

I like old games. I'm amassing a fairly sizeable PS2 & PS3 library. Also putting together a 90's "retro box" desktop PC full of old PC games. (Mechwarrior, Diablo, Warcraft, Command & Conquer, etc)

I love to drink good beer and throw darts. I'd like to meet the genius that one day said, "Let's all get drunk and throw pointy steel projectiles at the wall!"

I love 2 wheeled vehicles. I have 2 Honda Valkyries and just added a Yamaha Zuma 125 to the stable.

Just bolted the goofy looking trip trunk onto the back today. 7.62 cubic inches of displacement (very fitting for a collector of old rifles :LOL: ) cranking out an estimated 16 horsepower. Will do 55mph and get 75mpg!

1662522883917.png

Pipe smoking and forum reading definitely get their share of my time.

Cooking is an intermittent interest. Baking is on the rise, as I now have a fancy new range.

My wife and I enjoy lots of movies and low impact, native plant gardening.

We hit at least half of the "vintage" shops we pass.

When the caffeine wears off, chillin' with the cats and putting on some classical music on vinyl often occurs.

Otherwise it's bad music at an inappropriate volume as I can get away with.

Trying every coffee bean I can find makes the list. Without the coffee, none of the above would take place!

1662524971984.png

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I enjoy collecting and shooting bolt action military surplus rifles.

I have a dusty collection of some 15k+/- old school MTG cards. I haven't done anything with them for years now except carry them to my new home. Good exercise....

I like old games. I'm amassing a fairly sizeable PS2 & PS3 library. Also putting together a 90's "retro box" desktop PC full of old PC games. (Mechwarrior, Diablo, Warcraft, Command & Conquer, etc)

I love to drink good beer and throw darts. I'd like to meet the genius that one day said, "Let's all get drunk and throw pointy steel projectiles at the wall!"

I love 2 wheeled vehicles. I have 2 Honda Valkyries and just added a Yamaha Zuma 125 to the stable.

Just bolted the goofy looking trip trunk onto the back today. 7.62 cubic inches of displacement (very fitting for a collector of old rifles :LOL: ) cranking out an estimated 16 horsepower. Will do 55mph and get 75mpg!

View attachment 167551

Pipe smoking and forum reading definitely get their share of my time.

Cooking is an intermittent interest. Baking is on the rise, as I now have a fancy new range.

My wife and I enjoy lots of movies and low impact, native plant gardening.

We hit at least half of the "vintage" shops we pass.

When the caffeine wears off, chillin' with the cats and putting on some classical music on vinyl often occurs.

Otherwise it's bad music at an inappropriate volume as I can get away with.

Trying every coffee bean I can find makes the list. Without the coffee, none of the above would take place!

View attachment 167554
I used to play darts competitively many years ago, but, developed a mental block and hitch in my stroke; gone was my smooth, effortless stroke. I tried playing in leagues to get back into it, but, just got frustrated.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
@TheIronMonkey Try different weights and flight shapes/textures.

I began playing electronic darts (I know...yuck) while in the service, so I got used to the lighter weights used there.

After the military, I got into "real" darts and the heavier shafts really threw me off. I did some research and found that the heaviest weight allowed for electronic just overlapped the lightest weight allowed for steel tip (18g, I think), so that became my weight.

Bonus, I could screw in plastic or steel tip as the scene required and stay with my preferred darts.

Then, as I began experimenting with the different size, shape and texture of the flights, I was amazed at the difference it could make.

Finally, drink more and care less. Your game will improve as you have more fun!

1662525706631.png

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
@TheIronMonkey Try different weights and flight shapes/textures.

I began playing electronic darts (I know...yuck) while in the service, so I got used to the lighter weights used there.

After the military, I got into "real" darts and the heavier shafts really threw me off. I did some research and found that the heaviest weight allowed for electronic just overlapped the lightest weight allowed for steel tip (18g, I think), so that became my weight.

Bonus, I could screw in plastic or steel tip as the scene required and stay with my preferred darts.

Then, as I began experimenting with the different size, shape and texture of the flights, I was amazed at the difference it could make.

Finally, drink more and care less. Your game will improve as you have more fun!

View attachment 167557
For me, having fun had to do with shooting well. I tried drinking plenty to relax on the last team I played on, but, frustration with not being able to hit what I knew I was capable of got to be too much and I wasn’t enjoying it all all. I have many sets of darts in different weights; I’ve mostly used 20 or 21 gram darts over the years, but, have heavier weights.

I ordered a nice tournament style setup for the house to practice at home, but, the package got damaged in shipping and the proprietary mounting bracket got lost. Unicorn hasn’t responded about replacement.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I would love to see some pics............... I dabble in the cacti too, but just getting started..........
This one was my favorite.
IMG_20180822_102246.jpg

Then our pet rats knocked it over one day and knocked the top half right off of it. I was so upset I didn't even clean up the mess right away. I ended up leaving it in the pot to die and rot away.
And this is how it ended up.
PXL_20210117_171832088.jpg
They don't Die, they multiply.

This was from my Grandmother in law, that lives in arizona. This cactus is a chunk that fell off of hers, and was shrivling up. She wanted to see if I could get it to grow. When she gave it to me the little nub wasn't even there yet.
Before
PXL_20220618_160115441.jpg
about 3 weeks ago...
PXL_20220630_203640569.jpg
and now
PXL_20220907_045038653.PORTRAIT (1).jpg

jlopez

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2022
Southwest TX
As cheesy, pretentious, or whatever else is fitting, as this may sound, I think my main hobby is learning. Or, at least that's how I justify the hours and money I have spent on my many hobbies and interests. I came across the attached image one time and it was forever etched into my head as it was the best representation of myself I could find....it's kind of a curse. Like others, however, I do not consider pipe smoking or cigar smoking a hobby. Smoking complements my life, it's just a part of me and something I love to do as I deeply ponder the next thing I'm learning or trying to figure out. I never really grow out of my hobbies or interests, they're cyclical. Inevitably one comes back into my life and it's back into the void...all while smoking a cigar, but honestly 8/10 times I'm reaching for one of my pipes since venturing into pipe tobacco nearly a year ago (@hoosierpipeguy chummed the water and set the hook, seriously grateful for his welcoming generosity and introduction to pipe tobacco)

TL;DR:
Cycling (road and mountain bikes)
Fishing
Hunting
Camping
Board Games
MTG cards
D&D
Comics
Golf
Tennis
Drums and Guitar
Reading (preferably fiction)
Woodcraft
Brewing
Vinyl Art Toys (before Funko Pops ruined it all)

how-my-brain-works-utterly-obsessed-uninterested-light-switch-1457150416.jpg

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Antique watches (Accutron), hifi audio (LP's, reel to reel, SACD), art, guitars, pottery (old Appalachian), various antique collections, etc...
My wife puts up with alot and deserves the world for never giving me a hard time about my collections. In fact, she enjoys many of them and is very interested in the finer details - even with pipes and tobacco!

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
This one was my favorite.

Then our pet rats knocked it over one day and knocked the top half right off of it. I was so upset I didn't even clean up the mess right away. I ended up leaving it in the pot to die and rot away.
And this is how it ended up.
They don't Die, they multiply.

This was from my Grandmother in law, that lives in arizona. This cactus is a chunk that fell off of hers, and was shrivling up. She wanted to see if I could get it to grow. When she gave it to me the little nub wasn't even there yet.
Before

about 3 weeks ago...

and now
I neglected to add my love of succulents:

My paddle (and overgrown jade)
68363819948__18C457C2-FB42-48F9-9FAA-2C943383D685.jpeg

San Pedro:

IMG_2179.jpeg

Aloe and Agave:

IMG_2180.jpeg

Crassula ovata gollum (my bonsai ogre toe):

IMG_2181.jpeg

My baobab jade:

IMG_2182.jpeg

Cereus forbesii spiralus:

IMG_2185.jpeg

IMG_2184.jpeg

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I neglected to add my love of succulents:

My paddle (and overgrown jade)
View attachment 167597

San Pedro:

View attachment 167600

Aloe and Agave:

View attachment 167604

Crassula ovata gollum (my bonsai ogre toe):

View attachment 167605

My baobab jade:

View attachment 167606

Cereus forbesii spiralus:

View attachment 167608

View attachment 167609
Beautiful Jade ! I too am a "plant daddy" haha. Mostly succulents and orchids, a few cacti and a handful of bonsi/bonchi

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
Beautiful Jade ! I too am a "plant daddy" haha. Mostly succulents and orchids, a few cacti and a handful of bonsi/bonchi
Succulents were the one thing I could not kill. Leave them alone and they are fine. Get too clingy and they nope outta life. They helped establish my baseline of patience for plants overall.