PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I play fiddle for assisted living facilites, mostly Scottish tunes and hymns. I also play clawhammer banjo and flat pick guitar. Norman Blake is my favorite old time musican.

I got into vintage shaving using old single and double edge razors and then evoloved to honing and using straight razors. My oldes straight in from the 1840's.

I got into fountain pen resotration and have a nice collection of vintag pens including Parkers, Esterbrooks, and one Sheaffer. Plus several vintage Autopoint pencils, two from the 1920's.

I have a tour bike , 1917 Kona Sutra , that I just use for riding and hauling groceries the new neighborhood where I plab to retire. In fact, I wanted to live there to use a bike for transportation.

Hiking in the Smokys has been a life time love. I once hiked the same ten mile loop every Sunday morning alone, rain, shine, snow and various temps for almost two years and got to see the changes in the seasons. Saw four black bears over that span of time. There is something about being alone in a remote area. Both a bit scary and exciting.

The bear was in a blue berry patch mid August. It was barely dusk. I spooked him and we both froze. I decided to just wait to see what happend. He eventually turned to look and I snapped his photograph. Bear.jpg

I am a history buff and have read many books about the Afrcian American history and later Abraham Lincoln/Civil War/Reconstruction, and Civil RIghts movement in order to educate myself, as a white person.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I'm fascinated by ancient history. Philosophy and geopolitics in general. The middle ages and the ancient Rome. I'm repeating my reanding with this book. A distant Mirror of Barbara w. Tuchman. Visit Cathedrals, in general, old construction historical Spanish and European. Russia too. Literature, narrative, theater, is my passion. Too I also like gardeningIMG_2552[1667].jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I engage in our local folk song and dance culture. We have various old cultural practices around food production, hunting and animal husbandry that I partake in.
This is really just culture, but might equal hobbies.
I also have four kids aged between 0 and 11, so not much time for anything else
Your YouTube videos of your folk song and dance are excellent. I especially like the Ebbe Skammelson video.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I play some poker online for free. I like to strum the same old chords every day on my guitar, and I cook for myself as I live alone and have maintained myself now as a hermit since I retired in '13.
I read a book now and then, binge watch stuff, including crime dramas and music videos.200
I try to keep up with current political shenanigans', world wide news events, play the word jumble most every day, exercise as I smoke my pipe, (walking and stretching), and eat a lot of beans, rice, oatmeal and peanut butter.
I video chat with my daughter every day too. That sometimes seems a chore, I must admit, but it always evolves into a pleasant experience. (I sometimes feel as if any incoming call is an intrusion, although I don't own a Tourino.) 2000 corolla le. 71K bought it 4 yrs ago w/68K

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Golf and Lawn Bowling, Pool, a bit of tennis, Lawn Darts— the only active sports I do now. Inactive sports: anything on TV except softball and basketball. Or girl's lacrosse.

Almost any Brit mystery movie or series.
Watch some stand up every night as I go to sleep.
Travel has not been on the list for a long time, and I have a hip problem, so it's not going to happen for a while.
Dominoes in a small social group.
Reading PipesMagazine and hopefully contributing as well as learning. That part is a hobby for me; smoking pipes is something I do.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Besides bladesmithing and blacksmithing, I like to hunt and fish. I like hand-loading and shooting. I like to cook. I also like playing guitar. I’m not good, mind you. I just kind of strum and belt out my favorite John Prine tunes and run the wife from one room of the house to the other ?

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
My hobby and profession cross over quite a lot as it's tough not to want to play music as music as possible. Mostly Scottish fiddle music but occasionally some other stuff as well.

Hobbies wise, I am a fairly keen if not massively proficient golfer. Usually play twice a week.

I read a fair bit but that's more a part of life rather than a hobby. Although I do collect first editions of one particular scottish author and also old collections of printed traditional music.

Status
Not open for further replies.