PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I bit the bullet and finally watched "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". I swore I would never stoop so low and watch but I did all the same.
MV5BMTIxNDUxNzcyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTgwOTI3MQ@@._V1_.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Patsy & Loretta - pretty decent, if you are a fan. One of those made on a low budget. Seemed pretty accurate.

In the Electric Mist - Tommy Lee Jones and John Goodman (from Louisiana). Murder mystery filmed in New Iberia LA. My kids live in Lousiana and my in-laws are from New Iberia, so that was interesting. Movie is oddly shot, but with some a fun cameo from Buddy Guy.

Reactions: autumnfog

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Anyone here know when ITV's "Des" (David Tennant as Dennis Nilsen, the British Hannibal Lector) is going to air over here?

This one looks good.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
"Get Low". Imbd Network, starring Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek and Bill Murray. A hermit from the backwoods in Georgia decides to plan and attend his own funeral before he dies and invites all the townfolk who have shunned him for 40 years to join him.

This little gem came in under the radar. A must-see for Duvall fans and Bill Murray does a deft turn as the undertaker. Well done all around without all the usual f-bombs and sex romps. Not much shakey-cam adds to the pleasure.

4/5.

Reactions: autumnfog
Jun 9, 2018
England
Anyone here know when ITV's "Des" (David Tennant as Dennis Nilsen, the British Hannibal Lector) is going to air over here?

This one looks good.

I've no idea about US air dates but it was a very good mini series. I've read the book it was based on and seen Nilsen documentaries and David Tennant got it absolutely spot on.
Definitely worth watching when it airs. Over here there was also a documentary to accompany the series, narrated by Tennant, that was good as well.

Reactions: prndl

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Working my way through the last season

91grths7lZL.jpg

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watched Chernobyl and I can see why it won so many awards. A genuinely frightening look at what happens when a nuclear power station goes tits up.
Jared Harris and Stellan Skarsgård do great jobs portraying the two guys in charge of trying to clean up this monumental bollocks up.

5/5

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Started the new season of Fargo. Couldn't quite get into it last night, so will start again today.

Funny, one web site gave the following as equivalents.
I think not! The first three I've seen and loved, but seem miles from the first three seasons of Fargo. (5/5)

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 5.14.23 PM.png

We just finished up a delightful little series from Masterpiece Theater called The Durrells of Corfu. It was written by Gerald Durrell about their experiences as a fun and dysfunctional family living in the Mediterranean just before WW2. Many of this family went on to literary acclaim, as well as espionage and animal conservation.
I liken it to be a Northern Exposure of the Mediterranean, with rich characters and humorous clashes of cultures, British, Greek, Turkish, and even Swedish... I highly recommend it... and being set in the 30's, there is lots of pipesmoking.

durrels.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The Durrells of Corfu. Quality show. 5/5.

Keeley Hawes, who's got real acting chops, seen in spooks and other good stuff. Not a bad setting, either!

I tried to read a bunch of "Larry" Durrell as a kid. Bitter Lemons and Alexandria Quartet. Now I see he's got a list longer than my arm.

I tried to read a bunch of "Larry" Durrell as a kid. Bitter Lemons and Alexandria Quartet. Now I see he's got a list longer than my arm.
They let kids read Larry's work? ha ha. I loved some of the little literary snippets they worked into their dialog for those who knew the dynamics between the brothers. Larry never wrote about his mother, so she has a few quips about working her into his books. And, Gerald never wrote about Larry's wife, who was actually with him thourout Corfu and stayed married throughout WW2. So, they had her say, "It's like I'm not even here." Ha ha. There was more, but you have to listen for it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just binge watched OZ again, it's the 3rd time I've seen it. Awesome series from the late 1990's about a maximum security prison in America. For some reason this one flies under the radar a bit but believe me it's well worth watching.
The cast is stellar and there's far too many great actors to name them all but J. K. Simmons as the boss of the Arians is a standout.

Easy 5/5 from me.

Trailer:

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
"Line of Duty"...Amazon Prime.

Better than average British crime drama. Well done all around with acting and writing, tho the first season's directors were so in love with the "shakey-cam", I thought the cameraman.at first, was an inspired epileptic. I got so sea-sick and myopic, I almost stopped watching it. It was that bad,

However, they really toned it down in the next seasons. Much more enjoyable and a must-see for the Brit crime lovers.

3.5/5 overall. That first season's camera work knocked the mean down a bit.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good show! Saw on Brit Box or PBS a while ago. Forgot about the camera work but liked the show a bunch. 4.5/5 for this guy and his gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.