PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I finished up True Detective Season 2. I liked it quite a bit despite the middling reviews it got. It differs greatly from Season 1, which may be why so many panned it.

S2 touched on a few issues that I found interesting, such as the impact of the choices we make even when dealt a terrible hand in life, corruption in urban politics, and some other topics that I'm reluctant to post about as they may touch on our rules against politics. Coin Farrell did a terrific job with his character.

4/5

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Ah! Another Brit series I will spend hours on. On Prime right now.
Tamsin Grieg, who starred in Episodes- a 5/5 series- is also the leading lady, based on 5 minutes of viewing.

Fun fact: Belgravia is filmed in Edinburgh, with CGI. I guess the real Belgrave Square was too expensive. View attachment 33529

I used to attend a drug rehab clinic in Belgravia and it is indeed one of the most exclusive/expensive places in London.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The Final Days on Amazon Prime.
It's a 1989 tv movie about President Richard Nixon's battle to cover up the Watergate break-in.
Lane Smith does a great job of playing tricky Dicky and there's a small cameo from James B Sikking who played the pipe smoking leader of the SWAT team Lt. Howard Hunter in Hill Street Blues. He doesn't smoke a pipe in this though ?

I liked it and give it 4/5

Trailer:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
About to check out the Perry Mason reboot on HBO. Premier was last night.
Perry-Mason-poster.jpeg
How was it?
I read the description on imdb.com and it said it takes place in 1932. The original tv show took place in the 1950s so I'm wondering if this is basically a "look" at Perry Mason before he became successful.

Reactions: dcon

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I saw Perry Mason, film noire and really looks like it will be a hit, enjoyed the first episode, main character is the guy in The Americans, like his work.
How was it?
I read the description on imdb.com and it said it takes place in 1932. The original tv show took place in the 1950s so I'm wondering if this is basically a "look" at Perry Mason before he became successful.

Always enjoyed the original even with the campy inevitable “I did it” witness stand confessions.
This one is dark. I’m reserving judgement until I see more. The set up was Perry in a really dark place (which I like) but they really beat you over the head with it for the entire episode. I get it- life sucks for him. Figured that out after the first 10 min. Let’s get on with his character’s journey.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
The Flying Greek-Double WW2 Ace Steve Pisanos talking about his life as a fighter pilot its on Youtube.
The real story is about how a young Greek boy from Athens ran away to sea to fulfill his dream of learning to fly by emigrating to America in 1938. Its very funny 5/5

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.