33 Fresh Chacom Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

Bowie

Preferred Member
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I finished up True Detective Season 2. I liked it quite a bit despite the middling reviews it got. It differs greatly from Season 1, which may be why so many panned it.

S2 touched on a few issues that I found interesting, such as the impact of the choices we make even when dealt a terrible hand in life, corruption in urban politics, and some other topics that I'm reluctant to post about as they may touch on our rules against politics. Coin Farrell did a terrific job with his character.

4/5

Reactions: jpmcwjr

smudgersmissingleg

Preferred Member
Jun 9, 2018
England
Ah! Another Brit series I will spend hours on. On Prime right now.
Tamsin Grieg, who starred in Episodes- a 5/5 series- is also the leading lady, based on 5 minutes of viewing.

Fun fact: Belgravia is filmed in Edinburgh, with CGI. I guess the real Belgrave Square was too expensive. View attachment 33529
I used to attend a drug rehab clinic in Belgravia and it is indeed one of the most exclusive/expensive places in London.

smudgersmissingleg

Preferred Member
Jun 9, 2018
England
The Final Days on Amazon Prime.
It's a 1989 tv movie about President Richard Nixon's battle to cover up the Watergate break-in.
Lane Smith does a great job of playing tricky Dicky and there's a small cameo from James B Sikking who played the pipe smoking leader of the SWAT team Lt. Howard Hunter in Hill Street Blues. He doesn't smoke a pipe in this though 😞

I liked it and give it 4/5

Trailer:

pappymac

Preferred Member
Feb 26, 2015
About to check out the Perry Mason reboot on HBO. Premier was last night.
How was it?
I read the description on imdb.com and it said it takes place in 1932. The original tv show took place in the 1950s so I'm wondering if this is basically a "look" at Perry Mason before he became successful.

Reactions: dcon

Akousticplyr

Preferred Member
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I saw Perry Mason, film noire and really looks like it will be a hit, enjoyed the first episode, main character is the guy in The Americans, like his work.
How was it?
I read the description on imdb.com and it said it takes place in 1932. The original tv show took place in the 1950s so I'm wondering if this is basically a "look" at Perry Mason before he became successful.
Always enjoyed the original even with the campy inevitable “I did it” witness stand confessions.
This one is dark. I’m reserving judgement until I see more. The set up was Perry in a really dark place (which I like) but they really beat you over the head with it for the entire episode. I get it- life sucks for him. Figured that out after the first 10 min. Let’s get on with his character’s journey.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
The Flying Greek-Double WW2 Ace Steve Pisanos talking about his life as a fighter pilot its on Youtube.
The real story is about how a young Greek boy from Athens ran away to sea to fulfill his dream of learning to fly by emigrating to America in 1938. Its very funny 5/5

Reactions: jpmcwjr