PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Went back in time last night and watched "Old School" Yep, still funny. Tonight likely continuing on with Sons of Anarchy. Not a biker dude, in fact never rode one (I will surely like it too much for my own good), but I do like the show. It's gripping.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watched Sid & Nancy the biopic of the doomed relationship between Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen.
I've seen it numerous times but hadnt watched it in over a decade.
It's not bad but according to John Lydon in one of his autobiographies it's very inaccurate and Gary Oldman didn't like the performance he gave as Sid, although I thought he was pretty good.
Still worth a watch though 3/5

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Outsider - New HBO mini-series based on the Stephen King book. The book was OK by King standards and this series better! Ben Mendehlson & Jason Batemen. Recommended.
4/5 stars so far

Reactions: python and Bowie
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watched on Amazon Prime, Alien: The Directors cut and Aliens back to back. I've probably seen Alien over 30 times over the years but had never watched the director's cut. It had some interesting extra scenes and also a good documentary at the end of the film.

People always go on about the alien bursting out of John Hurt's chest scene and while I agree that it's a memorable moment in cinema history my favourite is when Dallas goes into the ventilation ducting to try and ferret the alien out, genuine claustrophobia, suspense and terror.

Both brilliant movies just in different ways so I'd give them both 5*
I didn't like number 3 or 4 in the franchise though and don't even get me started on the Alien v Predator crossovers as I thought they were rubbish. The same goes for the prequel Prometheus.
If there is anyone who hasn't seen them then I'd stick to the first 2 films, you won't be disappointed.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I thought the Mandolorian on Disney+ was going to be horrible - as I think all the newest Star Wars stuff has been. It was surprisingly excellently written and directed. Can't wait for season 2. Big 5.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Well, "Anne with an E" went "Woke with a W" real quick.

The first season would have made a great 4 part series but, I guess the producers had to keep up with the thought-Nazis and turn a classic series of books into a virtue-signaling diatribe that Ms. Montgomery wouldn't possibly recognize.

Like they used to say, "It's kinda hard to dance to, Dick"...so I give it a -1.

Reactions: Bengel and jpmcwjr

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I started Season 4 of Vikings on Amazon Prime. I rate it 4/5 so far, about the same quality as the first three seasons.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Just finished "Death Wish" (2018) starring Bruce Willis. I rate it 3/5.
A remake of the 1974 Death Wish starring Charles Bronson.
1580960686048.png

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Tolkien. 1/5 stars. Boring. Similar to Dead Poet's Society, with a lot less whining but no Robin Williams. The movie somehow made the WWI Somme battle scenes boring. The script was hypnotic, in that it lulled me into a stupor.

I spotted two pipes: JRR holding what I presume is a Dunhill near his mouth, and the priest holding a bent something with a wide stem. No smoke or tobacco spotted. They were just props.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and python

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
"Tom and Jerry" cartoons over on YouTube.

In my youth, they were part of a great Saturday morning tv line-up. This is their 80th year and they still make more sense to me than most of the crap that's on tv nowadays. (SpongeBob and Lawrence of Arabia excluded).

4.5 outta 5.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I just watched The Dark Knight trilogy again back to back. All 3 are amazing films but the second and third instalments are my favourites.
Obviously Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker is a standout but I also thought Tom Hardy's Bane was amazing as well.
I'd give Batman Begins 4/5 and The Dark Knight & The Dark Knight Rises 5/5.
Overall the trilogy is an easy 5/5 and well worth watching even if you're not a big comic book movie fan.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Finished up "The Stranger" on Netflix last night. This is a recent limited British mystery series, not to be confused with Camus' work or any other titles.

The story involves a mysterious stranger (is there any other kind?) who comes into people's lives and confronts them with their past skeletons only to get wrapped up a bit too far. It kept me interested with a few twists toward the end but, if you pay close attention along the way, the evil-doer can easily be figured out.

That said, it's fairly easy to tell who the evil-doer is in any movie nowadays.

But, hey, I'll give it a "C" just because it eschews that damn shakeycam.

Reactions: python

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Watched Rene on Amazon Streaming, played Judy Garland, she did a fabulous job, even felt sorry for Judy’s childhood being mentally abused by Louis Meyer big studio boss. Hey she was only paid 500$ a week for Wizard of Oz, wonder how much Mr Meyer made.

Reactions: python
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just finished The Wire which is an older HBO series, 5 seasons. Very, very enjoyable, 5 stars all day. Story of Baltimore police department, politics and drug trafficking. Looks like a number fairly popular actors today may have gotten their start in this series. Very sorry to see this one end. Not quite as good as Breaking Bad or Prison Break but not far behind either.

Status
Not open for further replies.