PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Last night we watched a four part British mini-series, "Apple Tree Yard" (2017). The first three episodes 4/5, the last episode (courtroom drama) 3/5.

1581268119833.png
Emily Watson stars as Dr Yvonne Carmichael, with Ben Chaplin portraying the role of her lover, Mark Costley. Apple Tree Yard follows the story of Carmichael, an unhappily married fifty-something scientist, who begins a secret affair with Costley whilst completely unaware of his background.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watched Dirty Harry again (I saw it many times when I was a kid in the early 1980's) and it's still just as brilliant all these years later.
There's so many classic scenes and The Scorpio killer is truly unnerving.
My favourite quote from the movie is:

Mayor: I don't want any more trouble like you had last year in the Fillmore District. Understand? That's my policy.
-Harry Callahan: Yeah, well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard; that's my policy.
Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
-Harry Callahan: When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross.
Mayor: [after Callahan has left] I think he's got a point.
:LOL:

A 5/5 all day long and the first sequel Magnum Force is very good as well. The other installments in the franchise aren't up to the same standard though (well I didn't think so anyway) and I'd stick to the first 2 movies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just finished The Wire which is an older HBO series, 5 seasons. Very, very enjoyable, 5 stars all day. Story of Baltimore police department, politics and drug trafficking. Looks like a number fairly popular actors today may have gotten their start in this series. Very sorry to see this one end. Not quite as good as Breaking Bad or Prison Break but not far behind either.

One of my all time favorites. We live an hour from Baltimore, so all the story lines hit home. It was fun to see, then Governor Bob Ehrlich in one scene. My wife works with the lobbyist who is portrayed in Season 2 (the wharf story) who had the shoebox full of cash and spent time in jail. The softened his character for the tv show (he's out of jail now).

Omar listening!

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Legend, about the Kray bothers, is on Netflix. I wasn't aware of these guys until now - a twin brother London crime syndicate. Very entertaining, especially if you enjoy the Mafia genre of films...pretty intense, and very funny in spots, as well.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Legend, about the Kray bothers, is on Netflix. I wasn't aware of these guys until now - a twin brother London crime syndicate. Very entertaining, especially if you enjoy the Mafia genre of films...pretty intense, and very funny in spots, as well.

Yes that's a great movie about The Krays with some brilliant acting from Tom Hardy.
The Kray Twins were big time villains from the East end of London and are quite famous/infamous over here.
There's another film about them called (not very creatively) The Krays starring real life brothers Martin & Gary Kemp from 1980's music group Spandau Ballet. It's not that great a movie though, maybe a 2/5. I'd definitely recommend watching Ledgend though.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and ron123
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watched a disaster movie on my PVR from the 1970's called Rollercoaster. It's about a guy who blows up a rollercoaster mid ride then threatens to do the same thing at other amusement parks if he isn't paid $1,000,000.
Timothy Bottoms plays the bomber with George Segal as the safety inspector tasked with trying to stop him, Richard Widmark and Henry Fonda are also in it.
The rock group Sparks are in the movie as well, near the end of the film when they are opening a new ride for the 4th of July celebrations they play one of their songs for the crowd :).
I'd give it 4/5 but please bare in mind I love movies from this era (the 1970's) and disaster movies also so maybe that skewes my opinion a little bit.
Anyway here's the trailer (which doesn't really do it justice) for the movie:

Reactions: Bowie

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The other day, Mrs Cosmic and I were scrolling through the channels and saw John Malkovich smoking a pipe... so we stayed on that channel and watched an episode of The New Pope. Malkovich was the Pope and he had a whole rack on his desk, and he looked like he knew what he was doing.

I am not sure I would recommend it. One episode is all I watched, and I wasn't sure if it was blasphemous or not, very confusing. It seemed on the up and up, but then at the end, they had scantily clad Nuns dancing in front of electric crosses. I will have to watch a few of the preceding seasons to see what is really going on.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Bought the complete collection of the 80's The Equalizer [sic] last December and that's what I've been watching; one episode per day.

Love The Equalizer! It was repeated here last year on the telly and I PVR'd it. I watched it as a kid when it originally aired in the 1980's. Edward Woodward is brilliant in it and I like the character 'Mickey' who helps him out sometimes. its got the bonus of having a classic opening theme tune as well. :)
They did a film remake a few years ago with I believe Denzel Washington playing the lead, it's on UK Netflix and is on my to watch list (with a million other things) but I haven't got round to seeing it yet as they just released the second season of Narcos: Mexico and I've been watching that.

Reactions: Bowie

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
The other day, Mrs Cosmic and I were scrolling through the channels and saw John Malkovich smoking a pipe... so we stayed on that channel and watched an episode of The New Pope. Malkovich was the Pope and he had a whole rack on his desk, and he looked like he knew what he was doing.

I am not sure I would recommend it. One episode is all I watched, and I wasn't sure if it was blasphemous or not, very confusing. It seemed on the up and up, but then at the end, they had scantily clad Nuns dancing in front of electric crosses. I will have to watch a few of the preceding seasons to see what is really going on.
Hopefully it is not crap, because Malkovich is great. We rewatch Red and Red2 just for our fix;)

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Love The Equalizer! It was repeated here last year on the telly and I PVR'd it. I watched it as a kid when it originally aired in the 1980's. Edward Woodward is brilliant in it and I like the character 'Mickey' who helps him out sometimes. its got the bonus of having a classic opening theme tune as well. :)
They did a film remake a few years ago with I believe Denzel Washington playing the lead, it's on UK Netflix and is on my to watch list (with a million other things) but I haven't got round to seeing it yet as they just released the second season of Narcos: Mexico and I've been watching that.
Not sure how I feel about this though

• Wow
Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
Not sure how I feel about this though

Yeah it doesn't look like my cup of tea. To be honest it's rare that I'll see a remake tv show/film and think it's any good. From the A-team movie to the Hawaii Five-O reboot and the terrible all female Ghostbusters debacle they're usually a BIG disappointment.

Reactions: Bengel

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I liked Mr. Woodward's "Equalizer", as well.

One of my guilty pleasures in getting up at 5:00 each morning was making coffee, filling a pipe and watching Mrs. Peel, uh, I mean "The Avengers" and "The Saint" back to back on MeTv.

McGoohan's "Danger Man" and subsequent "The Prisoner" were great shows in any era.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Mythic Quest: Ravens Banquet

If you are a gamer or have worked in the tech industry or are into gamer culture, its an absolute scream :)

I nearly fell out of my chair during the ocean of blood episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.