PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
Just binged both seasons of Tehran. I avoided it initially because it just looked like a Homeland ripoff. I was wrong. Sure, there are some standard spy thriller tropes, but the tension is palpable in every episode, and it doesn’t have all the eye-rolling moments that the last several seasons of Homeland offered. Can’t wait for Season 3. 4.5/5

Attachments

• 8EC0F3C2-3462-4FAF-803A-16E819D61C0E.jpeg
    8EC0F3C2-3462-4FAF-803A-16E819D61C0E.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 0

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been watching a lot of World War II documentaries lately. American factories poured out equipment in staggering numbers. They built a factory Willow Run that was over a million sq ft and they were pimping out thousands of B 24's. They made 655,000 Wily's and Jeeps. Aircraft carriers, Subs, destroyers, battle ships, the numbers were unbelievable, Billions of bullets and shells. Most were built by woman who were pressed into service. It was truly amazing.

The fire bombing of Japan was worse than the nuclear bombs. One night alone they burned 16 sq miles of Tokyo and lilled 100,000 plus people leaving at least 1 million homeless.

General Curtis Lemay was the king of fire bombing. City after city was burned to ash. Fascinating stuff.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
A Christmas Story has been an annual tradition in my house for decades now. I did not have very high expectations for the new one that came out a few days ago, but I have to say it is an excellent watch, and ties very well to the first. As someone who grew up in the late 1970s and early 1980s, they really got the setting perfect.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Watching The Crown season 5. Two episode left and I rate this season 3/5. I'm struggling with this season, just not enjoying it like previous seasons.

The_Crown_season_5.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Same here. I think I'm of the age where familiarity with the story line is greater than in the past seasons.
We don't care as much for the actor portraying QE this season. I think she carries over into the next season (and last).

Watching The Crown season 5. Two episode left and I rate this season 3/5. I'm struggling with this season, just not enjoying it like previous seasons.

View attachment 183034

Reactions: scloyd

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm in the middle of episode 3:

Wednesday-Season-1-Full-Series-Now-Available-To-Watch-Online.jpg

So far it's holding a solid 4.5/5 for me. There's a couple of chintzy scenes here and there plus it has a bit of a dark Harry Potter feel but outside of that it holds your attention, is exciting/intriguing, and very bingeable. There's also a few good homage/Easter egg type things that give it a certain playfulness for lack of a better term.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I'm in the middle of episode 3:

View attachment 183365

So far it's holding a solid 4.5/5 for me. There's a couple of chintzy scenes here and there plus it has a bit of a dark Harry Potter feel but outside of that it holds your attention, is exciting/intriguing, and very bingeable. There's also a few good homage/Easter egg type things that give it a certain playfulness for lack of a better term.
Are you a Harry Potter fan and is that why you're enjoying WEDNESDAY? I've never read or seen any Harry Potter movies and stopped watching WEDNESDAY after two episodes. I want to like it, but I just can't get into it.

I will say that Catherine Zeta-Jones makes a great Morticia and I like Luiz Guzman as Gomez.

I'm recuperating from knee replacement surgery and I'm watching a lot of TV right now. Maybe I'll continue the series and see how it goes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just finished watching the first season of ANDOR. It didn't completely suck. Production values are top notch, casting is generally excellent. Writing is nothing to write home about, action sequences are well conceived. I found it lacking in humor, which is much needed to leaven it's sense of self importance. The Disnification of the main robot sidekick isn't quite a crime against humanity but close. Plotting is a bit confusing because everyone looks a little too much like everyone else. Scale is epic. 3.5 out of 5

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I just finished watching the BBC Father Brown series for the second time. Eagerly awaiting Season 10.

I just started re-watching the BBC series Larkrise to Candleford, one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I do have a question: What is the meaning of the I WANT YOU / Secret Santa postings that I randomly see in threads (there is one on the previous page in this thread)?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I just finished watching the BBC Father Brown series for the second time. Eagerly awaiting Season 10.

I just started re-watching the BBC series Larkrise to Candleford, one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I do have a question: What is the meaning of the I WANT YOU / Secret Santa postings that I randomly see in threads (there is one on the previous page in this thread)?
The I WANT YOU postings are just a reminder to sign up for the Secret Santa.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Are you a Harry Potter fan and is that why you're enjoying WEDNESDAY? I've never read or seen any Harry Potter movies and stopped watching WEDNESDAY after two episodes. I want to like it, but I just can't get into it.

I will say that Catherine Zeta-Jones makes a great Morticia and I like Luiz Guzman as Gomez.

I'm recuperating from knee replacement surgery and I'm watching a lot of TV right now. Maybe I'll continue the series and see how it goes.
I found Wednesday to be fun and campy. The Harry Potter comparison is just to help describe the general feel of it. I did really enjoy the books and thought the movies were good too.

As a whole it is definitely a Tim Burton production.

Initially I was put off between the portrayal of the relationship between Morticia and Wednesday but eventually it actually played into the story well.

Once the "who is it" aspect took over the show became really fun to pick up on the references and follow the mystery without the show being some pretentious teenage claptrap garbage.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Somebody has uploaded the Rolling Stones documentary Gimme Shelter from 1970 to YouTube so I thought i'd give it a watch. I'd heard about the incident of the fan being killed and all the trouble at the San Francisco concert but I'd never seen this doc.

Having the Hell's Angels provide security for the event doesn't seem the smartest of ideas🤦🏻‍♂️. Good documentary about a car crash of a concert.

5/5 for the documentary and 5*/5 for the soundtrack

Link:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.