PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just finished watching "Secrets of Playboy" on the UK streaming service All 4

Apparently, Hugh Heffner was a bit of a degenerate scumbag. Never saw that one coming🤷🏻‍♂️🙄.
The doc was okay but it was waaaaay to long. It was over 10 episodes which was overkill as far as i'm concerned. They should have edited it down to 6 or something.

As Heffner had a pipe in his mouth in 90% of the footage I thought i'd look up what tobacco he smoked. Apparently, he smoked Mixture No. 69.
Sorry, sorry, my mistake, I meant Mixture No. 79.

Anyway, it was a pretty eye opening documentary. Hearing from the various Playmates who lived at the mansion and some of the people who worked there was really interesting and gave you a good flavour of what went on behind closed doors. I believed what the women were saying because too many of them experienced similar things over many decades. Just wish it had been more condensed.

4/5

Trailer:

Reactions: karam and Zero

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Watched American Animals (about some students who steal antique books) last night.

I almost switched it off after a hopeless 15 minutes start but persevered. Not the greatest of heist films I have to say.

2/5 from this viewer.

Regards,

Jay.

Just finished watching "Secrets of Playboy" on the UK streaming service All 4

Apparently, Hugh Heffner was a bit of a degenerate scumbag. Never saw that one coming🤷🏻‍♂️🙄.
The doc was okay but it was waaaaay to long. It was over 10 episodes which was overkill as far as i'm concerned. They should have edited it down to 6 or something.

As Heffner had a pipe in his mouth in 90% of the footage I thought i'd look up what tobacco he smoked. Apparently, he smoked Mixture No. 69.
Sorry, sorry, my mistake, I meant Mixture No. 79.

Anyway, it was a pretty eye opening documentary. Hearing from the various Playmates who lived at the mansion and some of the people who worked there was really interesting and gave you a good flavour of what went on behind closed doors. I believed what the women were saying because too many of them experienced similar things over many decades. Just wish it had been more condensed.

4/5

Trailer:
I saw this, or at least a few episodes… my problem is this… “I made a million dollars posing naked for Playboy, and when Hugh asked me to sleep with him, I did… the monster!!!” I just don’t get it. I mean, who goes to work at the Playboy mansion thinking it’s going to be just cake and ice cream? It’s not like any of them were abducted and forced to perform against their will. Some people just haven’t had any real terror in their lives, and just have to turn living like a decadent billionaire into some sort of demonic hell that they had to endure. And sure… Hugh was a businessman that had to protect his “brand.” What is new about what a businessman will do to protect a company?

Reactions: kcghost and karam
Jun 9, 2018
England
I saw this, or at least a few episodes… my problem is this… “I made a million dollars posing naked for Playboy, and when Hugh asked me to sleep with him, I did… the monster!!!” I just don’t get it. I mean, who goes to work at the Playboy mansion thinking it’s going to be just cake and ice cream? It’s not like any of them were abducted and forced to perform against their will. Some people just haven’t had any real terror in their lives, and just have to turn living like a decadent billionaire into some sort of demonic hell that they had to endure. And sure… Hugh was a businessman that had to protect his “brand.” What is new about what a businessman will do to protect a company?
Many of the women talked about being drugged with Quaaludes. If you watch all the episodes it becomes pretty clear that Hefner was a complete scumbag.
He stayed at the top for all those decades because he used his wealth, power, influence, and all the video tapes he had of important and famous people.

He reminded me a bit of Epstein in that respect. I believe Epstein definitely had tapes of lots of powerful people in compromising situations. I wonder which people he had tapes of and what happened to those tapes?🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Watched the British spy…thriller Treason these last two nights. Easy viewing, well made, but man…the plot holes, big enough for even non spy aficionados to cringe. Plus the lead character is far too soft and cuddly to convince anyone he made it to be chief of MI6 at 40 years old. Plus it does one more thing which annoys me: builds what looks like a very convoluted story only to unravel it in an instant at the end.
4/5 for easy viewing
2/5 if you actually like spy stuff

Reactions: hawky454

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last night I watched the classic heist film Thunderbolt & Lightfoot for the umpteenth time.

Such great pairings of characters, super storyline & excellent acting, it must surely be amongst Hollywood's top 50 films ever made.

A well earned 5/5 for Clint and the boys.

Regards,

Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Watched the British spy…thriller Treason these last two nights. Easy viewing, well made, but man…the plot holes, big enough for even non spy aficionados to cringe. Plus the lead character is far too soft and cuddly to convince anyone he made it to be chief of MI6 at 40 years old. Plus it does one more thing which annoys me: builds what looks like a very convoluted story only to unravel it in an instant at the end.
4/5 for easy viewing
2/5 if you actually like spy stuff
Agreed on Treason, it was disappointing.

Reactions: karam

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I like all of the fine actors and well written on Brit Box that hold my interest to the very end. The slang of the Brits is at times a bit confusing, Irish slight brogue is harder to follow, Completly lost when you feature the Scots. Thankful for the subtitles. Do they really drink that much booze ? Frequent pipe smokers are great.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
The Lost Pirate Kingdom on Netflix.

1/2 documentary, 1/2 dramatization. It's a genuine attempt to tell a story to the viewer without making it sound like a monotone documentary. The “documentary” part sticks to facts and evidence delivered by experts or the narrator while the “drama” portions, as with any "docudrama" speculate within the known parameters to imagine how scenes, situations and relationships might have played out. The series featured pirate legends such as Blackbeard, Henry Jennings, Benjamin Hornigold, Charles Vane and Anne Bonny.

The series seemed to get a great deal correct and make an excellent effort towards historicity, but did take some liberties in creating story. Overall, I'd say it was worth a watch. 4/5*

1674616484947.png

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

1/2 documentary, 1/2 dramatization. It's a genuine attempt to tell a story to the viewer without making it sound like a monotone documentary. The “documentary” part sticks to facts and evidence delivered by experts or the narrator while the “drama” portions, as with any "docudrama" speculate within the known parameters to imagine how scenes, situations and relationships might have played out. The series featured pirate legends such as Blackbeard, Henry Jennings, Benjamin Hornigold, Charles Vane and Anne Bonny.

The series seemed to get a great deal correct and make an excellent effort towards historicity, but did take some liberties in creating story. Overall, I'd say it was worth a watch. 4/5*

View attachment 197178

Takes me back to Black Sails.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

View attachment 197178

I saw this and I noticed how small their pipes were. Black Sails was a favorite as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.