PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There's a new season of The Bay on Britbox.
Yippeeeeeee! And thanks. I realized that it's been a while since I've gone on Britbox, as my gal and I have been watching Brokenwood Mysteries, (Prime/Acorn; streaming), a mystery series from the great county of New Zealand. Lots of eps. Many 5/5, some 4/5.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I will have to check out The Bay. But, man, there sure are a whole LOTTA crime drama on Britbox. The British must really love their murder mysteries.
Oh, yeah! Probably have watched several hundred hours of mysteries on Britbox. Most good to excellent.

One of my (our) favs is: MI-5. And, yes, that's a young Keeley Hawes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 2.14.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 2.14.09 PM.png
    442.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Scarlet Street is one of my favorite movies. Brilliant brilliant movie. And it's got Dan Duryea or something. He's great
Dan Duryea is great. Recently, I was watching an episode of Wagon Train and noticed him on it so I Googled it. He's played six different characters on WT from 1957-1964.
1647639429080.png1647639411759.png1647639446845.png1647639480117.png
He's got one of those recognizable faces. He's also been in many other westerns.

Pipesandstuff

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2021
Orlando, Fl
Dan Duryea is great. Recently, I was watching an episode of Wagon Train and noticed him on it so I Googled it. He's played six different characters on WT from 1957-1964.
View attachment 134848View attachment 134847View attachment 134849View attachment 134850
He's got one of those recognizable faces. He's also been in many other westerns.
Most of the older movies I watch fall firmly in the noir camp so my knowledge is pretty narrow. Probably the oldest tv show I watch with any regularity is the Rockford Files. But when I run across Duryea, or Sterling Hayden, or Joseph Cotten, I'll watch it for a bit. They're just great, in different ways, of adding life to a character. Always fun to watch.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and scloyd

Pipesandstuff

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2021
Orlando, Fl
I took my daughter to go see The Batman after school today.

I will admit, the trailer caught my eye but I had my reservations going in. Growing up in the 80's on Adam West reruns, the Tim Burton films and some of the best Batman stories to ever grace a comic panel... I expect certain things from Batman and I didn't know if the sparkling emo vampire kid from Twilight could pull it off.

The film had a run time of nearly three hours. The focus was on a Bruce Wayne who was only two years into carrying the mantle of the Batman. A new take on the Riddler served as the antagonist. Several members of the usual rogues gallery were present. Overall, the action was good. The story was well done and the dialogue carried the film at a good pace. I was pleasantly surprised.

Robert Pattinson did an excellent job as Batman. Not my favorite portrayal, but certainly not the worst one I've seen on film. A solid 5/5* and a must see for any Batman fan.

View attachment 133579
My family went a couple days ago to a Dolby cinema to see The Batman. I love those rooms. Solid solid film. Found it hard to complain about anything, which normally would be a pause for concern from anyone in my life. And it's a testament to the story and editing that that was the shortest 3 hr movie I may have ever watched

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Over the weekend I watched the six-part series, Apollo's Moon Shot on Paramount+ with my kids. It was produced by the Smithsonian Channel in 2019 and covered the early efforts of NASA and the space race between the United States and Soviet Union. The series was full of footage, including some unseen prior to this series, and and very detailed in scope.

The first episode covered the formation of NASA, JFK's "Man on the Moon" address to Congress, and the Gemini program. The second episode covered the trials and tribulations of the Mercury program. Episodes three and four detail the early efforts & breakthroughs of the Apollo program. Episode five chronicles the first moon landing in 1969 and the Apollo 13 mission, which nearly ended in disaster. Episode six covered political and public pressures faced after Apollo 13 the final four Apollo missions (14-17).

With Artemis I on the very near horizon, I found it nice to revisit the stories I heard as a young boy that helped me fall in love with space, but also important to share with my children the early era of space exploration, especially as mankind gets ready to journey back to the Moon over the next decade and beyond to Mars during their lifetimes. (5/5*)

mgid_arc_imageassetref_shared.smithsonian.jpg

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Reactions: scloyd

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Watching NHL hockey fights from the 1990s on YouTube. I could literally watch these for hours. Growing up in LA (at a time when the Lakers and Dodgers both sucked), the Kings were fun to watch, so long as Marty McSorley was in the lineup. So many great bouts...McSorley vs. Probert, Kocur vs. Ray, Domi vs. Twist, Grimson vs. Odjick...the list goes on and on! Plus, the refs gave them a lot more time and space back then, so there are some marathon punching sessions indeed. 5/5

Beers 'N Briars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Yakima, Washington
The Batman was a 5/5 without question.
Halo on Paramount plus I’ll give a 4/5 but I’m a pretty big gaming nerd.
and I always keep rewatching Endeavour. Great show and some fine pipes on it! 5/5.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Wrapped up the first & second seasons of the series "The Food That Built America" on Discovery+. The first season was only three episodes and had a markedly different tone and style than the 13 episodes contained in the second season. The first was more stylized documentary, the second contained dramatized reenactments of pertinent events throughout the story of whatever figures they were documenting in that particular episode.

It is nice to learn the history and stories behind the food that lines the shelves of our grocery stores and the sides of our roadways. It was interesting to learn about how events like the great depression and the world wars helped spur innovation in the food sector. While the series could be a little over dramatic with the poorly done reenactments, overall I enjoyed it. So did the wife and kids. (4/5*)

81jbvVQeupL._RI_.jpg

*I believe there is a third season, but I haven't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.