PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Episode 4-6 of Arcane released on Netflix today. The best Netflix Original I have seen by a long shot. Amazing stuff. Great character and story development. Follows many cliches but well done and well voice acted. The animation and style are right up my street.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
download (10).jpeg

So... Imagine Clark Gable and Jane Russell holed up in a tiny log cabin out in the wildness, trapped by a blizzard. They build a fire, and Jane must of course take off her clothes (because they're wet), and Clark must pull off her boots and stockings and rub her feet and then blow on them (He's gotta get Jane's feet warmed up!). Clark kills a rabbit (He's such a man, they don't even bother showing him killing the thing), and Jane cooks it up for him over the fire.

Clark says, "You sure do cook up some good rabbit, with that honey and molasses."

Jane replies: "That ain't honey and molasses. That's just girl."

unnamed.pngHow can I give this anything less than five stars?

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Just watched Paris, Texas for the first time.
I'd heard about it and it had been on my list of movies I wanted to see but i'd never gotten round to it.
I loved it and both Harry Dean Stanton and Dean Stockwell were brilliant, as usual.

5/5

Trailer:
This film has been mentioned a couple of times on these forums recently. I loved it when I saw it as a teenager but I haven’t seen it in years. I’m going to make a point of rewatching it soon.
** The Ry Cooder soundtrack is excellent

Feeling like crap again, and no smoking for today.
So, we watched Black Widow. What a totally unbelievable movie. Plus, for an origin story, they do a piss poor job. It's just a bunch collages of politicians with no real explanation. You just sort of have to pick up on inferences. Then, within two minutes Black Widow and her fake mother hatch a plan, create two perfect disguises, and also a few plan B and C's. Totally unbelievable. Do they have super human strength? At times they can kick in concrete and steel prison walls, and other times they can't break a zip tie... which is it? What's going on? Was I required to read something before watching this to make it make sense?

Then the totally physics defying fight scene at the end. WTF?

Then that weird scene with the Seinfeld chick at the end, WTF?

And, not once did we see Scarlet Johansen naked.

2/5, and only because she is a dead Avenger.
1637181809553.png

Then we watched Jungle Cruise. Ok, ok, I can better forgive a Disney fun time movie for the problems with physics and storyline issues, because the acting was killer. Using actual Disney World Jungle Cruise jokes that you'd hear on the actual ride made it worthwhile. Just fun. And, the Rock, rocks.

4.5/5, yeh, .5 reduced because I didn't watch it with any kids, and still like it, but there were still problems. I'm a picky son of a bitch.

1637182439161.png

Reactions: scloyd

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just completed watching The Royal on Britbox. It's a medical drama set in the 1960's and '70's in a small cottage hospital situated in a coastal town. Fun to watch, and the gruff surgeon is always smoking his pipe as he sees patients on his rounds, in the wards, pretty much everywhere except when performing actual surgery, and he's seen handing his pipe to a nurse just before entering the operating theater.

The critics hated it for not being more modern, complex, and highbrow. Fuck 'em!

5 out of 5 for being such fun.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I recently heard that there is Dexter reboot, New Blood. I never saw the original series, which first aired on Showtime in 2006 and lasted 8 seasons. I decided to check it out, and just finished watching the first season. In a nutshell, it’s about a vigilante serial killer who works for a police dept. 4/5

3043AC48-46A6-4AFE-9387-6E24228368EE.jpeg

Just completed watching The Royal on Britbox. It's a medical drama set in the 1960's and '70's in a small cottage hospital situated in a coastal town. Fun to watch, and the gruff surgeon is always smoking his pipe as he sees patients on his rounds, in the wards, pretty much everywhere except when performing actual surgery, and he's seen handing his pipe to a nurse just before entering the operating theater.

The critics hated it for not being more modern, complex, and highbrow. Fuck 'em!

5 out of 5 for being such fun.
We are into The Royal, 3 episodes deep, and it's pretty good. I think, although with my interpretation of English, that the doctor that smoked a pipe has moved on already. But, I hope he returns. The stories are like a 3/5, the acting is maybe 4/5 for British standards, but the music makes it a 5/5, IMO. I'll hang with it. We are just waiting on the current full season of Grantchester to drop.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We are into The Royal, 3 episodes deep, and it's pretty good. I think, although with my interpretation of English, that the doctor that smoked a pipe has moved on already. But, I hope he returns. The stories are like a 3/5, the acting is maybe 4/5 for British standards, but the music makes it a 5/5, IMO. I'll hang with it. We are just waiting on the current full season of Grantchester to drop.
The pipe smoking surgeon figures prominently in every season.

• Love
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.