PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philosopiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2021
Billions, on Showtime, is finally back on. Production for Season 5 (Episode 7) was shut down last June due to COVID. Episode 8 finally aired yesterday (Sunday). It’s a pretty good drama series about greed, power, and corruption. It has had its ups and downs over the years, but I’d still give it a 5/5 overall?

View attachment 96308
I love shows about power. This show is watchable. But, as a show about power, I think it under-delivers very much. The characters don't manifest that deep hunger for power in itself, a hunger that radiates off of them and hangs heavily in the atmosphere of the show, that for example Underwood in House of Cards, Pacino in Godfather or Scarface, manifest.

Reactions: STP

Philosopiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2021
Speaking of Eastwood: I Watched Gran Torino for the 3rd(?) time last night. If you haven't seen it, you need to watch it yesterday. Touching story, I would say, about Fatherhood. About the beauty and the deep instinct to positively influence others, to set them on the right path. And of course, Eastwood's always awesome gruffness.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I watched the 4 hour version of Justice League. I am a Marvel guy and have been since I was a kid and I would only buy one DC character comic book, the Green Lantern. I hate Batman normally but in this movie he was real good. Over all I enjoyed this DC offering.
My favorite super hero is Thor, second is the Fantastic 4. Every time they have made a Fantastic 4 movie, they have sucked. The only one that was half decent was the second movie that had the Silver Surfer in it. He is also one of my favorite Marvel characters and I have no idea why they haven't given him his own movie. If done right it would gross over 1.5 billion in world wise sales.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Just saw Cry Macho and… meh. I’m a fan of Clint Eastwood, and enjoy most of his movies, but this one was slow, and boring at times. He is 91, 90 while filming, so slow was expected, but sadly I didn’t love it. 3/5 :(

View attachment 98840
I had a hard time finishing Cry Macho. I'd rate it 2/5.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Watched the new documentary from the BBC When Nirvana Came To Britain.

It centers around the band's various tours of the UK and what went on. There are extensive interviews with Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic as well as all the people that helped run the tours.
It's interesting to see the difference between their first tour when they were unknown to a couple of years later when they were the biggest band in the world.
It was a really good documentary and definitely worth watching if you're a Nirvana fan.
There are a couple of uploads on YouTube and I've provided a link to one but how long it stays up is anyone's guess.

Jun 23, 2019
I've been pretty disappointed with how the Star Wars franchise have developed since the original trilogy, but the recent blossom of series have been pretty decent. Being a Bill Burr fan I binged the first 2 seasons of the Mandalorian (⭐⭐⭐)

At times, it can fall into cliches; and you can definitely tell the difference between the higher profile episodes and the B-tier ones (which is disappointing in such short seasons - 8 episodes each) it definitely has its moments. If you're a fan of spaghetti westerns and like the Star Wars universe, it's a must.

the-mandalorian-emmy-wins-the-mandalorian-grogu-TALL.jpg

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
I've been pretty disappointed with how the Star Wars franchise have developed since the original trilogy, but the recent blossom of series have been pretty decent. Being a Bill Burr fan I binged the first 2 seasons of the Mandalorian (⭐⭐⭐)

At times, it can fall into cliches; and you can definitely tell the difference between the higher profile episodes and the B-tier ones (which is disappointing in such short seasons - 8 episodes each) it definitely has its moments. If you're a fan of spaghetti westerns and like the Star Wars universe, it's a must.

I kept waiting for him to take the mask off and show us that it was Clint Eastwood the whole time.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I just finished watching The Many Saints of Newark. I’m a fan of the Sopranos and enjoyed the movie. It tied in many the characters from the series and is a worthy prequel, BUT, if you didn’t like Sopranos, or have never seen the series, it probably will not appeal to some as a stand-alone movie. I give it a bias 5/5 ??

3100BF51-A248-41DF-9B18-A5C401FD873A.png

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH

Like many who saw the original trilogy, I fell in love with Star Wars as a kid.

I have become increasingly unimpressed with the rest of the movies. My favorite newer movie being Rogue One. I got really excited about Mandalorian only to be left with the feeling that it too, while a decent enough show, didn't live up to the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.