PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
Like many who saw the original trilogy, I fell in love with Star Wars as a kid.

I have become increasingly unimpressed with the rest of the movies. My favorite newer movie being Rogue One. I got really excited about Mandalorian only to be left with the feeling that it too, while a decent enough show, didn't live up to the hype.

Agreed, it could've been so much more.

Maybe they should make an animated series more geared towards adults, feels like a natural direction to take the franchise.

Reactions: Gus and Streeper541

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I watched the 4 hour version of Justice League. I am a Marvel guy and have been since I was a kid and I would only buy one DC character comic book, the Green Lantern. I hate Batman normally but in this movie he was real good. Over all I enjoyed this DC offering.
My favorite super hero is Thor, second is the Fantastic 4. Every time they have made a Fantastic 4 movie, they have sucked. The only one that was half decent was the second movie that had the Silver Surfer in it. He is also one of my favorite Marvel characters and I have no idea why they haven't given him his own movie. If done right it would gross over 1.5 billion in world wise sales.
My thoughts exactly re the Fantastic 4 movies. I want to love them and they have all sucked. I agree with you that the second movie (with Silver Surfer) was the best of the lot.

Reactions: Gus
Jun 9, 2018
England
Like many who saw the original trilogy, I fell in love with Star Wars as a kid.

I have become increasingly unimpressed with the rest of the movies. My favorite newer movie being Rogue One. I got really excited about Mandalorian only to be left with the feeling that it too, while a decent enough show, didn't live up to the hype.
Hopefully the new Obi Wan series with Ewan Mcgregor will be decent.

Reactions: twoonefive and Gus

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
Just watched 13 Hours with my son. Michael Bay doesn't get a lot of credit, but he is an excellent director. The real heroes were the men who went above and beyond their duty despite being let down.
5/5

Reactions: Gus and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Please remember to give a rating on what you're writing about. It can help others to decide to see or not to see, saving time and heartbreak!

holy shit yall gotta watch squidgame on Netflix. im in the middle and its great
I just finished this...
Squid Game: Cast, Characters, Review and Ending explained | Marca

I was intrigued, mostly by how well they matched up the lips movements to the overdubbing in American English. But, it kept me intrigued enough to watch the entire season. I loved the killings, especially that happy look on that old man's face when playing the first game of red light green light. He was beautifully into it.

I have two criticisms... first, they make us not mind when a character dies by swaying us against them when their time comes. I'd rather be heartbroken every now and then. Like kill off someone we love early on to let us know that the writer is serious.
Second, what a lame way to transition us into a second season. To base the next one on a bad decision? Phhht, come on writers.

I give it a 3/5, if there had been more explicit violence, more nudity, and kill the people we like while we still like them, it would have rated higher for me. But, damn that old man's face in redlight, green light.... beautiful!!!

Reactions: Gus and jpmcwjr

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am on the fifth installment of Wagner's Ring Cycle. This may take a couple days as it is five hours long. It is "Gotterdammerung" or"Twilight of the Gods". Due to its length it isn't as compelling as the others but it does have its moments.

4/5

Last edited:

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
I just finished this...
Squid Game: Cast, Characters, Review and Ending explained | Marca

I was intrigued, mostly by how well they matched up the lips movements to the overdubbing in American English. But, it kept me intrigued enough to watch the entire season. I loved the killings, especially that happy look on that old man's face when playing the first game of red light green light. He was beautifully into it.

I have two criticisms... first, they make us not mind when a character dies by swaying us against them when their time comes. I'd rather be heartbroken every now and then. Like kill off someone we love early on to let us know that the writer is serious.
Second, what a lame way to transition us into a second season. To base the next one on a bad decision? Phhht, come on writers.

I give it a 3/5, if there had been more explicit violence, more nudity, and kill the people we like while we still like them, it would have rated higher for me. But, damn that old man's face in redlight, green light.... beautiful!!!
if the deaths of ali didn't and the north Korean girl didn't get you I donno what to tell ya

if the deaths of ali didn't and the north Korean girl didn't get you I donno what to tell ya
The girl’s death was inevitable, but yeh. Was Ali the the Pakistani? I mean the way it was written, by the time some was doomed to die, we either knew it was inevitable or the character had turned to where the death wasn’t a shock or going against our wishes. In Western movies the new normal is to create and outrage with the violence within the viewer. This one seemed to candy coat it. And, that’s ok. Just a criticism.
But wasn’t player #1’s face in the red ligh green light game while people are getting mowed down just beautiful? The pure joy!! Ha ha, loved it!!’

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
The girl’s death was inevitable, but yeh. Was Ali the the Pakistani? I mean the way it was written, by the time some was doomed to die, we either knew it was inevitable or the character had turned to where the death wasn’t a shock or going against our wishes. In Western movies the new normal is to create and outrage with the violence within the viewer. This one seemed to candy coat it. And, that’s ok. Just a criticism.
But wasn’t player #1’s face in the red ligh green light game while people are getting mowed down just beautiful? The pure joy!! Ha ha, loved it!!’
Too me it was all an allegory for our capitalist system, and how its a cutthroat world. They were all doomed just for playing.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Nothing new at the moment.

Watching Northern Exposure.

I was working so many hours during the years when the series first aired I missed it, and all other movies and TV.

A pleasant and quirky world nothing like the carp being firehosed out of the box these days.

Watching Northern Exposure.
I have the first three seasons on DVD. That was my favorite show back in the day, and when we get snow days (very very rare here) we will pull out the DVDs and watch them over again. I used to crush on Maggie hard. My tastes have changed now, but she is still a spicy lil' thing, ha ha.

1633528301622.png

I couldn't sleep last night, so I scrolled through here, and saw that Sable had mentioned The Chair. I watched the first four episodes, and while I could relate to the situations, the characters, it was entertaining, well scripted, but it did seem a little 1990's made for TV. I wouldn't call it the best drama, best comedy, nor best romance, just entertaining. I give it a 3/5. I may watch the rest on some other sleepless night, but there are some very well produced things that are better suited for my tastes at the moment.
But, if you are just looking to be entertained by some academia, English department shenanigans, you might really enjoy it more. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.