PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Typically; I’m not a fan of Hanoi Jane, but this performance is stellar. Also features the great Donald Sutherland, who always adds a odd nuance to many of his roles, especially his early roles, like this, M.A.S.H, Dirty Dozen, Kelly’s Heroes, and The Eagle has landed. 4/5.4AD6E66D-27F2-4603-8689-D901DB19C0F3.jpeg

Last night, we finished season 2 of Brittania. Loved it, but the modern 60's music and the imagery and the story all seem to conflict a little for me. I love the opening songs, but the aesthetic doesn't fit. I finally got over it when the story kept getting more evolved. Loved it. 4.5/5
Season 3 gets dropped tonight. I may have to binge it while working in the studio.
1629820680978.png

Reactions: Gus

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Just watched The Naked Prey (1966) w/Cornel Wilde this past evening. Pretty damn good for a film with almost zero dialogue. Based on a true story that happened in the American West in the 1880s or something like that, but filmed in Africa. Much cheaper that way. 4/5
Cornel Wilde, in a different era he’d have been a much bigger star. But you had John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant etc.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Just watched The Naked Prey (1966) w/Cornel Wilde this past evening. Pretty damn good for a film with almost zero dialogue. Based on a true story that happened in the American West in the 1880s or something like that, but filmed in Africa. Much cheaper that way. 4/5
Was curious about the “based upon” you mentioned and was more fascinated with THAT story than the film?
Apparently the first “mountain man”; John Colter, was captured by Blackfeet Indians, stripped naked and told to run.
Apparently he was a fast man, as he outdistanced the Indians who were making a sport of it, hid overnight in a beaver dam, and escaped.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
1629980724906.png
Watched this last night, a great story, but also sad, and infuriating. 5/5, a perfect documentary.
I grew up watching Bob Ross, and my first paints were the Bob Ross kit, and I remember those books sold at art supply stores... it's just sad that a man with so much passion for painting needs to live on, but by watching him now or buying his products or anything with his name on it supports the element that has treated Bob and his family with so much evil over these years. It's a Catch-22.

View attachment 94451
Watched this last night, a great story, but also sad, and infuriating. 5/5, a perfect documentary.
I grew up watching Bob Ross, and my first paints were the Bob Ross kit, and I remember those books sold at art supply stores... it's just sad that a man with so much passion for painting needs to live on, but by watching him now or buying his products or anything with his name on it supports the element that has treated Bob and his family with so much evil over these years. It's a Catch-22.
Also, for pipespotters on here, they had several scenes of Steve Ross's painting palates where he had several Savinellis setting, and a couple of scenes where Steve was smoking his pipes during the interviews.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OMG! Klute! I saw it when it was released in the early 70's, and still remember the roof top scenes. Too little memory to be really accurate, but 4/5 sounds just right.

Reactions: Aomalley27
Jun 9, 2018
England
The Act. It's a series based on the true story of Gypsy Blanchard who was a young girl that got her dopey boyfriend to murder her mum. The mother had Munchausen syndrome by proxy and made out the girl couldn't walk and had all sorts of diseases.
The cast is pretty good. Chloe Sevigny, Joey King and Patricia Arquette were the standouts but everyone involved does a great job.

4/5

Trailer:

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Watched the Magnificent Seven last night - solid 4/5 and a great cast.

Been on a minor Eli Wallach kick lately. I've always loved the Tuco character from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but never looked to see what else that actor was in. Recently saw an updated version of the Godfather III and did a double-take...one of the characters looked like an older version of Tuco. Anyway, I looked up the cast and saw that it was the same actor in both, which is how I ended up watching the Magnificent Seven. Looking at his IMDb page, Eli Wallach had a long and active career.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Watched the Magnificent Seven last night - solid 4/5 and a great cast.

Been on a minor Eli Wallach kick lately. I've always loved the Tuco character from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but never looked to see what else that actor was in. Recently saw an updated version of the Godfather III and did a double-take...one of the characters looked like an older version of Tuco. Anyway, I looked up the cast and saw that it was the same actor in both, which is how I ended up watching the Magnificent Seven. Looking at his IMDb page, Eli Wallach had a long and active career.
If you like Eli Wallach; check out these films : Ace High, MacKenna’s Gold, THE LINEUP (he’s phenomenal in this one), How the West was Won, How to Steal a Million.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and ron123
We started watching Yellowstone, and it is not a documentary about silly wild animals, ha ha. It is a movie about a dynasty trying to keep their ranch, way of life, and family together. Awesome 5/5. Costner kills it in this, a conservative kick ass cowboy, busting ass, and doin what has to be done.
Watch it!! It is worth the $14.99 per season we paid.
It reminds me of Dallas in the 80's, except much more manly.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4236770/mediaviewer/rm908442881/?ref_=tt_ov_i
1630522498581.png

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
View attachment 94451
Just watched it. Thought it was good. Sad how they took advantage of his name/estate.

Just watched it. Thought it was good. Sad how they took advantage of his name/estate.
I haven't gotten that far yet. Please, no spoilers!! I am just a few episodes into the second season.
man-with-fingers-in-ears | TouchBasePro

Huh? I’m referring to Bob Ross- Happy Accident Betrayal & Greed, on Netflix. It’s only

Huh? I was referring to Bob Ross- Happy Accident Betrayal & Greed, on Netflix. It’s only one episode/documentary.
Ha ha ha, ok, that makes more sense. Yeh, that pisses me off too.

The one way we can honor what Bob wanted, is to spread the joy of painting, but to do that means showing his videos, and those soul sucking bastards who are currently hurting Bob's family make money when we do that. It's a sorry ass Catch 22. Makes me mad. Someone needs to teach those people a lesson, IMO.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Status
Not open for further replies.