PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I work in Grindavík, but yeah, living in Kópavogur can be nice when the weather allows to be outside. Generally, Icelandic employers are awful and the government/healthcare/banks take away all the money you earn, so it can be very stressful living here.
There are plenty of good music everywhere in the world, my favourite local band is Árstíðir. Kælan Mikla is not my taste, but I like Apparat - they had a short performance within the Christmas concert series in Harpa (Reykjavík opera house) last year - we attend with my family every year. Hopefully not this year, because if everything goes well, we will leave this country finally - forever by my hopes. Maybe I see the bad side more, I grew up here and have seen many things, lived in different countries as well - and I don't have a positive opinion about this society. I think the marketing is better than reality. People are usually not welcoming here, and they don't accept when someone's different - even though just the opposite is one of Iceland's selling points. Nature is beautiful, but it's beautiful everywhere, where it's not destroyed already. I wish you a nice trip if you come here one day. But prepare yourself for extremely steep prices and horrible weather. Regarding pipe smoking: It's not allowed to smoke inside at all, and outside it's mostly windy, rainy, snowy. Four pipe tobaccos are available only (Skandinavik, Half & Half, Special/Sweet Dublin, and Sunday's Fantasy), at just a few stores, so take enough baccy with you.

I hear ya about living in places that get you down. I live in Hawaii, and can’t wait to leave it behind. LOL 😝

In the meantime, whatever and wherever your dreams are, go for it, and don’t let life get you down!

I think; ‘Smile and the world will smile back at you’, and if they don’t, feel sorry for their sad hearts, cause we never know what they are going through.

Thanks for sharing! ❤️

I just checked out Árstíðir for the first time, and watched this. It has this old world Celtic like vibe to it, really nice. :)

Looks like a bit of that grouchy Iceland here;

jerks found all around

LOL, but an up beat song... :)

Aloha! 🤙

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Almost finished smoking year 2020 Mac Baren Scottish Mixture in a straight, smooth brown 1960s Lane era Charatan Special 38 bulldog with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Smoked several bowls during that almost two YouTube interview, but I have to make up some work time, so I can't post anything else today. See you folks tomorrow.
1960s_Lane_Charatan_Special38_bulldog.jpg

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
I hear ya about living in places that get you down. I live in Hawaii, and can’t wait to leave it behind. LOL 😝

In the meantime, whatever and wherever your dreams are, go for it, and don’t let life get you down!

I think; ‘Smile and the world will smile back at you’, and if they don’t, feel sorry for their sad hearts, cause we never know what they are going through.

Thanks for sharing! ❤️

I just checked out Árstíðir for the first time, and watched this. It has this old world Celtic like vibe to it, really nice. :)

Looks like a bit of that grouchy Iceland here;

jerks found all around

LOL, but an up beat song... :)

Aloha! 🤙

Then you understand, Iceland is indeed just faking and showing a nice face to the world, meanwhile it's mainly a rotten carrot underground. I can imagine how Hawaii can be a difficult place to live, but the US is still in the best situation when it comes to pipe tobacco. You can't buy that many types and that high quality tobacco anywhere else. And it's still very cheap, especially compared to EU. I'm glad you like Árstíðir, they are a little bit also critical towards Iceland - I think the newer generation is typically less arrogant, and dares to criticize the current society. I hope they won't change too much about that part.
You are right about smiling, I have to remind myself every day about it. It's becoming a difficult task these days, unfortunately. Thanks for your nice words, the upcoming months will be exciting, and I'm really looking forward to it!
And I hope you will also be able to follow your dreams, probably far away from Hawaii ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.