PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
Tonight I had four bowls in a row.
#1. Blend 60% Byzantium with 30% diced Newmister Superior Round Slices, and an extra 10% Latakia to keep the smokiness up. Sweet and mildly smokey, I'd say each component comes through almost equally, it's a bit surprising how commanding the Round Slices are when it's only 30% of the overall blend.

#2. A Re-blend of my home version of Revelation, now with more Sutliff Mature Red, plus a tiny bit of J4 Burley and St. James Flake scraps (I can never get those flakes to burn on their own so I may as well blend it out).
This time with the Latakia and Kentucky diluted down it's much less salty and more just savory, not quite as consistent in flavor as the Byzantium/Newminster blend.

#3 Leftover Macbaren scraps from six years ago blended with 30% Latakia and 15% Perique, it actually makes quite a decent English blend despite having no clue what the majority of the tobacco is.

#4. Home blend imitating Early Morning Pipe, basically just Kendal Gold mixed with English Oriental Supreme, a bit of Mature Red VA, and then a small booster shot of Latakia.
Kendal Gold is very bitey when fresh, but now that it's been in the jar for a few months this blend is actually quite pleasant. Just an overall light savory sweet blend, and of course it lights quickly and burns like a dream.

Interestingly even while smoking pipes for three hours straight on an empty stomach it still only took a bottle of Dr. Pepper to prevent any signs of Nicotine overdose.
In general I still don't know if I can identify what exactly Nicotine does to me other than when I do overdose and my head starts spinning.

dsturg369

Can't Leave
May 9, 2009
Augusta, GA
A month or so ago, I jarred up some small amounts I had laying around... Just a little bit of this and that. There was a little Mississippi River, PPP, Tambo, Anniversary Cake, Marble Cake, Squadron Leader, and a couple of others. Been smoking it for the last couple days and it is pretty good... In a MM Legend and Great Dane Egg.

Attachments

• 20210929_092331.jpg
    20210929_092331.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 0

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Afternoon chaps, I’m smoking Bengal Slices in the alligator skin Longchamp Canadian at the moment. I have some Rattray’s Bagpipers Dream in the lizard skin Club billiard up next to enjoy on this chilly autumn day. It’s early for me but the sun (what I can see of it) is past the yardarm, so a dram of Woods Navy Rum with a drop of water on the side, looks like I’ll need another bottle soon. image.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
CLAN - one of the blends that anyone starting a pipe in their teens in the 1970s in the U.K. would have tried and from there progressed onto Dunhill blends and other brands available at the time but now sadly gone
(Sullivan Powell, H. Simmons, G. Smith & Sons, B&H (O.V.F), Sobranie etc.)

First pipe I ever bought in the '70s - a Savinelli Oscar Aged Briar
View attachment 100114
Mellow Virginia was a popular one when I was young. Do you remember the adverts for 'Live in Peace with Your Pipe' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.