PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
More cube-cut Capstan Blue in my Big Ben Ranger. (No picture this time, but you get 1000 words instead...)

My "Virginia education" continues... I am to the point where I can avoid burning my tongue outright, but I often singe it in a more gradual way that I don't notice at first. I tend to stick the tip of my tongue directly in the path of the smoke coming out of the button, probably for the same reason that a dog sticks its head out the window of a moving car and looks forward. I get a few good blasts of sweetness and other basic flavors that way, but then it stops working and I start smoking harder. :confused:

With today's bowl, I'm making more of a conscious effort to keep my tongue out of the way, especially during relights. And I'm re-training myself to taste the smoke more... ambiently.

It's like being a Buddhist monk in training, trying to clear the mind and focus on the subtleties and getting thwacked with a cane when you screw up. :ROFLMAO:
Keep a pipe cleaner handy to keep the stem dry...I found that helped until I got used to capstan blue. Now I don't need it as much. It also helps to slow sip it and pack it lighter. Then its really mild.

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
First time smoking the soon-to-be released Seattle Pipe Club Give Me Liberty in a 2002 smooth natural straight silver banded Ardor Venere Extra Fatta A Mano Maigret billiard, signed by Dorelio Rovera with a black acrylic tapered stem. This straight old belt red and Brazilian Virginia cake goes on sale Sept. 27. I'm working on a review of it, so I'll need time to smoke it before I can discuss it.
Ardor Venere Extra Maigret billiard .jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
What am I missing here, you owned a pipe tobacco company? 🤔

P.S. @ThermionicScott dry your VAs crispy for now if you haven’t, also pack lightly, and sip slowly, just stay away from moist anything for now, especially VAs, until you get it down. :)
Standard Tobacco Company of PA, one time owners of the War Horse, John Cottons, Bengal Slices trade marks manufactured by STG and sold out to them a few years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.