PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
The first bowl after the final "repairs" of my first 8€ clay pipe and probably the last photo of it for a while,
I expect a package with some goodies to arrive tomorrow and new pictures with it. Honestly!
But for now hear this, if you will:

This clay pipe is cheap and broken twice but very dear to me. I refused to let it go and made the current hemp twine bind final by soaking the crucial parts in plastic glue,
because that's what I had available. Shank and knot were glued, they're now as hard as wood and even produce a satisfying sound when you tap on them.
I bet dollars to peanuts that the pipe is now stronger than before, except for the clay sticking out.

It stands upright on its own, nothing wobbles, it feels good all around and it's got my personal touch.
Now it's as fancy as a bird. Well, at least a pigeon.

View attachment 169405

@halfdan and any friend of the clay
Try a twine bind on one of your clays some day, I feel like it makes them smoke better and cooler!
Seems logical too... Thicker chamber with more air padding and all. Break, fix, reinforce, enjoy. puffy
Let me know what you think.
@Chaukisch Well done for showing your favourite clay a bit of love; i love the twine binding!
I'd smoke that pipe:)

VDL_Piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Cube-cut Capstan Blue in the new Savinelli 313.

View attachment 169330

This time, I tried to cut the cubes to be consistently smaller (cube-ier?) and filled the pipe the night before to get a little more drying time. Some kindling/shake on top might have saved me a few relights, but it's rolling well now. The differences in mouthfeel and flavor (over fully rubbing out) are still blowing my mind a little!
If you keep a few cubes out and squash them with the flat side of a knife blade the cubes separate and you have nice fine tobacco to sprinkle on top, greatly assists the lighting process.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
koudelka is one of my favorite photographer, Alex webb is also on the list.Recommend a Chinese photographer,He's also a Magnum photographer,Lu Nan.He once took a photo album of the underground Catholic Church in China,《on the road》I guess you'll like his work.
Great to see we have fellow fans of great photographers in yourself and @UB 40.

I was looking at Lu Nan's work on Magnum's website at your suggestion and his work is incredible, a lot of it makes your heart break. I loved his four seasons work in Tibet, what a hard but beautiful place and people.

I love documentary photography and Gordon Parks is one of my favorites.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
A forum member posted this photo from Nottingham pipe show with me in it:
The Redcoat is immediately recognisable and I've got a clay pipe in my mouth...

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
A friend brought over some pear brandy earlier and after we finished an awful lot of it I decided that I hadn’t irritated the neighbour’s in ages so I busted out the vinyl. At the moment it’s The White Stripes but they’ve also had to put up with Fugazi and Nick Cave for the last few hours.
In the meantime I’ve been smoking Bayou Night in the White Longchamp and moving on to Black Frigate in this Italian made Commodore cutty which also calls for a more relaxing sound so it’s CSN&Y on the turntable next. View attachment 169429
Wow. White Stripes, Fugazi, and Nick Cave.

My man, you can DJ for me sometime. I dig it.

I once heard Fugazi described as "mommy rock" and I can't disagree, but like it (and Minor Threat).

Status
Not open for further replies.