PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Is that the Virginia you'll be using in the "Clay King"?
That's still the random VA batch I got before I started thinking about blending my own pipe tobacco.
I'm going to order the VA Gold Lemon and others over the weekend. Good luck during Stoptober!

OT:
I made some more VA twists because I was so happy with how the last ones turned out.
This time I took different VA phenotypes.
20220929_133447 - Copy.jpg

I removed the green chlorophyl ridden parts and ripped the leftovers into unequally sized strips.

20220929_143223 - Copy.jpg

There wasn't much left so I decided to just mix them all up. And so I spent a good two hours sitting here and twisting. Some were twisted tightly and some more loosely, some are thick and some are thin, either long or short. A regular Zippo for size reference. TWO HOURS. Sometimes taking a few minutes for a single string.

20220929_154822 - Copy.jpg

A closeup.

20220929_155150 - Copy.jpg

This time I didn't heat up anything, I just packed it in a jar and put it away to let it settle.

20220929_160118 - Copy.jpg

I'll leave it for a while and hope it turns out as interesting as the last batch.
If I can recreate this Oriental like flavor I'll be very happy.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
You may be right—with the soft focus from the depth of field, I thought they might be the beveled edge you see on something like the 4/5.

I can imagine what you’re thinking of. some years ago I built the legendary BBC speakers LS 3/5a myself with a matched pair of KEF chassis. Later I bought another pair from the only one in Great Britain who is still licensed to produce this BBC loudspeakers a guy named Stirling. Both are sounding like they should, very naturally and detailed in a small room, with not that deep bass, anyway.

But I took a look at the modern Spendor 4/5 just right now. Maybe you’re right, they do much more sophisticated edges in recent times.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
That's still the random VA batch I got before I started thinking about blending my own pipe tobacco.
I'm going to order the VA Gold Lemon and others over the weekend. Good luck during Stoptober!

OT:
I made some more VA twists because I was so happy with how the last ones turned out.
This time I took different VA phenotypes.
View attachment 171816

I removed the green chlorophyl ridden parts and ripped the leftovers into unequally sized strips.

View attachment 171818

There wasn't much left so I decided to just mix them all up. And so I spent a good two hours sitting here and twisting. Some were twisted tightly and some more loosely, some are thick and some are thin, either long or short. A regular Zippo for size reference. TWO HOURS. Sometimes taking a few minutes for a single string.

View attachment 171820

A closeup.

View attachment 171821

This time I didn't heat up anything, I just packed it in a jar and put it away to let it settle.

View attachment 171822

I'll leave it for a while and hope it turns out as interesting as the last batch.
If I can recreate this Oriental like flavor I'll be very happy.
@Chaukisch Sounds good 👍; is the Gold Lemon 🍋 Virginia for the "Clay King 👑"???

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just passing the half way mark on this bowl of year 2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching Mad Dog Russo.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.