PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz 50/50 with eight o’clock coffee. Both of these blends are pale comparisons to what they were in 2019 maybe age will help but they’re not as good.
View attachment 339648
One thing I've noticed with Haunted Bookshop is the bulk just doesn't compare with the tinned option, that's my thoughts anyway.

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
One thing I've noticed with Haunted Bookshop is the bulk just doesn't compare with the tinned option, that's my thoughts anyway.
I haven’t had the tinned version in over a year. I’ve been buying bulk and it’s been ok. Maybe I should get a tin now to compare side by side.

I did find a piece of shredded material in the bulk that wasn’t tobacco once, so I wonder if their bulk runs are done with less attention to detail or if it is all a part of the same batch.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Shana tova! First bowl of 5785 (I know I sound like an ET when I say that, but who's to say I'm not? 👽) was two coins of Peterson DeLuxe Navy Rolls in a Stefano Santambrogio Rhodesian. This is my only 9mm pipe, and it's probably the best smoker of my collection, which is roughly a dozen. 9/10

Bird report: House finch, Dark-eyed junco, California scrub-jay, California towhee, California quail, Steller's jay, White-crowned sparrow, Oak titmouse, Mountain chickadee, White-breasted nuthatch, American crow, Mourning dove, Western bluebird, Red-tailed hawk, and Northern flicker. Full cast today.

stefano.jpg

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
I haven’t had the tinned version in over a year. I’ve been buying bulk and it’s been ok. Maybe I should get a tin now to compare side by side.

I did find a piece of shredded material in the bulk that wasn’t tobacco once, so I wonder if their bulk runs are done with less attention to detail or if it is all a part of the same batch.
I sometimes wonder if it's like comparing two different grades of the same cut of meat. A prime rib eye is going to be far superior to a select grade rib eye. Maybe the same tobacco, but the best of the batch goes in the tin. But I will say that Exclusive in bulk is every bit as good as the tinned version., so who knows?!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

It's all the same batch. No company is going to go to the added expense of separate runs. The reason that there is a difference between bulk and tin versions is because the bulk is exposed to more oxygen than a sealed tin.

That goes for ready rubbed versions of flake blends as well. The cut offs from the flakes fall into a vat, and are packaged, but they are exposed to more oxygen, too.

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
It's all the same batch. No company is going to go to the added expense of separate runs. The reason that there is a difference between bulk and tin versions is because the bulk is exposed to more oxygen than a sealed tin.

That goes for ready rubbed versions of flake blends as well. The cut offs from the flakes fall into a vat, and are packaged, but they are exposed to more oxygen, too.
Thank you, Jim. I don’t have much knowledge of how the blending processes work other than what I have read on here or heard Brian Levine and his guests talk about on the radio show.

It is a dream of mine to take a tour of the C&D factory some day.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Half way through this bowl of year 2014 Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster in a smooth straight brown 1950 Dunhill 48 bulldog group 4 root briar with a black vulcanite fish tail saddle stem. Watching a Gene Autry movie. Fed Daisy the Feral Princess and Tomato the Brave a little while ago. After she ate, Daisy jumped up on my lap for a snooze.
Dunhill_1950_root-bulldog48.jpg
DaisyMyLap1.jpg

Reactions: Joe H