PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking year 2013 Rotary Navy Cut in a post-1938 Pre-Republic Peterson Dublin straight smooth X155 bulldog with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Nigel Bruce smoked this model in two Sherlock Holmes movies. Please consider asking Smoking Pipes and Peterson to bring the pipe back into production.Peterson_PR_Bulldog_X155.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Been using some of the matches I found while litter picking to light my clay; still took more matches than baccy:)
I'd like to be able to light the clay using just 1 match! Saving the empty boxes as the striking plate doesn't usually last long enough to light the full box. Picked an empty matchbox up at Nottingham Pipe Show; saving it for this reason. Even when not litter picking I still go into Womble mode...

das3353

Lifer
Sep 7, 2019
C&D Virginia Flake in a Genod Bulldog

53277098967_5eac5d8e5b_k.jpg

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
View attachment 255312

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Loose Cut in the usual morning cob today.

Today's pipe project is comparing Mac Baren's Vanilla Flake and Vanilla Cream Loose Cut, and what I'm finding is that they have the same flavor profile but the flake version is just a little stronger in taste. It's not a huge difference, but both the vanilla topping and the Virginia tobacco flavors just seem a little more pronounced in the flake version and are a bit more consistent and cohesive throughout the bowl. I think I'll be keeping the flake version in my rotation but the loose cut will be going down onto the shelf for tobaccos to sell or trade at some point.

I've since smoked a pipeful of Mac Baren Vanilla Flake and am currently puffing on another pipe of Vanilla Cream Loose Cut and am a little surprised by my findings. While the flake cut has a much more prominent vanilla tin note and the vanilla flavor may be slightly stronger, Vanilla Flake is very quick to turn ashy and unpleasant tasting when smoked outdoors with a light breeze. You really have to keep the heat low and smoke extra slow to bring out the vanilla flavor.

In contrast, the Vanilla Cream Loose Cut seems to hold up to outdoor breezes much better and doesn't tend to turn ashy tasting when it gets a little overly warm. It's more of a, "puff it and don't worry about it" kind of blend where you don't have to pay particularly close attention to your cadence or the heat of the tobacco to get good vanilla and Virginia flavors from it.

In a perfect world where you could smoke your pipe with no distractions and pay close attention to cadence and the heat of the tobacco I think Vanilla Flake is probably just slightly better, but if you're an outdoor smoker or just like to hang a pipe from your lip to puff on while doing other activities then Vanilla Cream Loose Cut is definitely the better choice.

Next up I'll be giving Vanilla Roll Cake a try later tonight.puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.