PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Started the evening with a petit corona Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva which has been laying about for way too long, but just a few puffs in, called away for dinner. Came back later and decided to tear off the end, cut it up and stuff that in my pipe with a pinch of SPC Deception Pass and smoke it. Delightful!
39F1C83C-0365-482E-914B-F3733D586B2A.jpeg
P.S. a bit headier than my normal puff. ;)

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Great pic! Beautiful carving
Parsimonious Piper and me have more Lee pipes than anyone else I know, and I could not lie or exaggerate enough, just how exceptionally good this carved 5 pointed star Lee smokes.

It doesn’t get hot.

It’s easy to draw (with the plastic restrictor gadget removed).

It’s just bursting with cool, sweet flavor.

And smokes dry as a bone.

One like this one, ruins you for the others.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
My first completely free evening in like a month. I cooked a whole brisket using charcoal and hickory logs for 5 hours. It'll finish in the oven overnight. Carved pumpkins with my daughter. Had chickpeas and rice with homemade kimchi and Lao Gan Ma for dinner, followed by some fresh roasted pumpkin seeds. Smoked some Semois in my Eltang billiard, followed by Amphora Original in my new Musicò lumberman. Last smoke of the evening is a Drew Estate Kentucky fire cured pony.

IMG_2834.jpg
IMG_2952.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Thought I’d prepare my next smoke early as it needs dry time. It will be Sammy Gawiths St James plug which I’ll compare to Gawiths cabbies mix which I’m smoking now, should make for an interesting comparison. I’ll smoke it in a Pete 999 too so it’s like for like.
View attachment 177954
While I'm not a knife enthusiast, I enjoy seeing pictures of plugs and ropes with the knife that prepared them. I also don't need a plug knife, but am looking for something a little bigger blade as my Opinel no. 5 is a touch small (due to my own ordering error).

In other words, please share what you used if it isn't a bother, my brother of the briar.

VDL_Piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
While I'm not a knife enthusiast, I enjoy seeing pictures of plugs and ropes with the knife that prepared them. I also don't need a plug knife, but am looking for something a little bigger blade as my Opinel no. 5 is a touch small (due to my own ordering error).

In other words, please share what you used if it isn't a bother, my brother of the briar.
It’s just a very old kitchen paring knife that I keep razor sharp, nothing flash but having a sharp knife is the key to cutting thin, uniform flakes.
CE8C86A2-B4B3-458C-8EDF-6485A47DD6E0.jpeg333F7FA8-82EB-4495-AC12-5B9D93A475A7.jpeg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
It’s just a very old kitchen paring knife that I keep razor sharp, nothing flash but having a sharp knife is the key to cutting thin, uniform flakes.
View attachment 177962View attachment 177963
I played with knives and fire for a living for about 18 years as a line cook (through high school, college, graduate school, and moonlighting). It doesn't have to be flashy to work.

A sharp blade, good weight (the knife does the cutting, not you applying weight), and comfortable handle make all the difference. Almost three years out of the game and I miss it (well, kind of ... no need to moonlight now but money stacks) and I still have the cook's callous. If you don't know about it, just shake a cook's hand.

Thank you for taking the extra effort to post pictures. I appreciate it.

VDL_Piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I played with knives and fire for a living for about 18 years as a line cook (through high school, college, graduate school, and moonlighting). It doesn't have to be flashy to work.

A sharp blade, good weight (the knife does the cutting, not you applying weight), and comfortable handle make all the difference. Almost three years out of the game and I miss it (well, kind of ... no need to moonlight now but money stacks) and I still have the cook's callous. If you don't know about it, just shake a cook's hand.

Thank you for taking the extra effort to post pictures. I appreciate it.
You’re very welcome and yes a knife without an edge is just a piece of steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.