PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
It’s Basil Rathbone night! I recorded a few films off TCM while at work and now (because I rarely smoke inside and it’s wonderful on the deck) will enjoy these pipes until dark when I can start my mini-marathon which will continue tomorrow night. As I type, the Peterson first year original Original Sherlock Holmes with KBV Merchant Service Fireside Chat (if @JimInks called this an all day smoke he’s right - this is great stuff!). In about an hour or whenever, the Peterson Rathbone with (of course) 2020 Wilke No. 515 from my first “cellaring”. This is going to be a great evening/night!3BC942D8-4DFE-4DDC-99A4-63C4205F830F.jpeg

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
[...]
o let me living die,
till death doth come,
till death doth come.
There's always much room for interpretation when it comes to these things but I see some good wisdom and philosophy in there. "Let me die before I die." Many people die many deaths before their physical body expires. You can burn yourself down and be reduced to ashes. You can let the rain drag you into the earth but you can also let a great Phoenix rise. All the way from Arizona! 😁

Jokes aside... The implied hard times can drag you down hard but they can and will also make you stronger,
if you let them. That's what nature cares about. Strength, intelligence and adaptability.
General mankind found it's way around it for now but it will be forced to go back. I don't think we'll ever get a real grip on real things but the more wake-up's we get the sooner we might wake up.
And until then: Happy smokes and deep clouds of thought! puffy

OT:
It's time to taste my first self-made aromatic.
Yesterday I held the open jar under the nose of a friend who doesn't care much about tobacco.
He agrees that it has an intense chocolate smell, so it's established that I'm not all that crazy.

Recap: Bright Kentucky, bright Latakia Virginia and Burley in roughly equal amounts. The Burley was soaked in a sauce of roasted and caramelized wild hazelnuts. Brandy, roasted coffee beans and vanillin infused sugar were added and simmered for a while.
- NO CONTACT WITH ANY COCOA OR CHOCOLATE WHATSOEVER! -

Left in a jar for about four days then further processed into a more smokeable texture. Left for about another two days. I should make a habit of writing down dates. Or anything, really.
I took a few good pinches of the moist tobac and put it in a tiny glass jar to slowly and carefully heat it up over an open flame. This was the result:

20221005_231011 - Copy.jpg

It's nice, fluffy and kinda crisp. It lost some aroma but that only made it better.
It really smelled like an open jar of nutella. I was astonished but it was too much, now it's good and mellow!
I loosely packed the chamber of my freshly cleaned clay, hoping for a good smoke.

20221005_233807 - Copy.jpg

When I push the smoke out of my nostrils it gives me a very pleasant and slightly prominent flavor of caramelized nuts without masking the tobacco. Very, very pleasant and flavorful smoke, very pleasant room note. At least according to my barbaric senses. No more chocolate flavors. only the bare tobacco seems to smell like that. It stays lit longer than raw tobacco but
not as long as the Clan or MacBaren ScotBlend. As I expected. I like to get some heat going and it doesn't sting as much either but has about the same moisture realease.
Burns up quickly, leaving a very crisp ash, to me it certainly was a nice smoke all the way through.
I'm exceptionally happy with it and I'm kinda proud of myself! I won't smoke this up, I will stove it and try to send some of this around to try and get some proper criticism.

Considering the strong chocolate smell of the tobacco but caramel hazelnut flavor and smell of the smoke...
I'll be bold and name this first real but still half-assed blend of mine:

Hazel's Gone Choconuts puffy

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of the way through this bowl of C&D Wintertime Reserve 2022: Ghost of Christmas Past in a medium bend fumed tan crackled year 2020 Ahmet Govem reverse calabash meerschaum with a military mount silver band and black acrylic stem. Working on a review of this blend.
Ahmet Govem reverse calabash meer.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
There's always much room for interpretation when it comes to these things but I see some good wisdom and philosophy in there. "Let me die before I die." Many people die many deaths before their physical body expires. You can burn yourself down and be reduced to ashes. You can let the rain drag you into the earth but you can also let a great Phoenix rise. All the way from Arizona! 😁

Jokes aside... The implied hard times can drag you down hard but they can and will also make you stronger,
if you let them. That's what nature cares about. Strength, intelligence and adaptability.
General mankind found it's way around it for now but it will be forced to go back. I don't think we'll ever get a real grip on real things but the more wake-up's we get the sooner we might wake up.
And until then: Happy smokes and deep clouds of thought! puffy

OT:
It's time to taste my first self-made aromatic.
Yesterday I held the open jar under the nose of a friend who doesn't care much about tobacco.
He agrees that it has an intense chocolate smell, so it's established that I'm not all that crazy.

Recap: Bright Kentucky, bright Latakia Virginia and Burley in roughly equal amounts. The Burley was soaked in a sauce of roasted and caramelized wild hazelnuts. Brandy, roasted coffee beans and vanillin infused sugar were added and simmered for a while.
- NO CONTACT WITH ANY COCOA OR CHOCOLATE WHATSOEVER! -

Left in a jar for about four days then further processed into a more smokeable texture. Left for about another two days. I should make a habit of writing down dates. Or anything, really.
I took a few good pinches of the moist tobac and put it in a tiny glass jar to slowly and carefully heat it up over an open flame. This was the result:

View attachment 173111

It's nice, fluffy and kinda crisp. It lost some aroma but that only made it better.
It really smelled like an open jar of nutella. I was astonished but it was too much, now it's good and mellow!
I loosely packed the chamber of my freshly cleaned clay, hoping for a good smoke.

View attachment 173112

When I push the smoke out of my nostrils it gives me a very pleasant and slightly prominent flavor of caramelized nuts without masking the tobacco. Very, very pleasant and flavorful smoke, very pleasant room note. At least according to my barbaric senses. No more chocolate flavors. only the bare tobacco seems to smell like that. It stays lit longer than raw tobacco but
not as long as the Clan or MacBaren ScotBlend. As I expected. I like to get some heat going and it doesn't sting as much either but has about the same moisture realease.
Burns up quickly, leaving a very crisp ash, to me it certainly was a nice smoke all the way through.
I'm exceptionally happy with it and I'm kinda proud of myself! I won't smoke this up, I will stove it and try to send some of this around to try and get some proper criticism.

Considering the strong chocolate smell of the tobacco but caramel hazelnut flavor and smell of the smoke...
I'll be bold and name this first real but still half-assed blend of mine:

Hazel's Gone Choconuts puffy
@Chaukisch Another outing for my favourite clay pipe on the whole forum:)
Good 👍 luck with the blending and hope you get the Virginia & Cavendish leaf for the "Clay King 👑" soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.