PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Now smoking Mr. Christian's Haunted Virginia in a 2002 smooth natural straight silver banded Ardor Venere Extra Fatta A Mano Maigret billiard, signed by Dorelio Rovera with a black acrylic tapered stem.
View attachment 172702
Do you see that fine grain dark section grain in that pipe ? ... That's the part that gets hot on my Barontini like an open window ... stripped the varnish waiting for wax to arrive. In the meantime I just had a bowl of Old Toby and it didn't get as hot now that its stripped to bare briar.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Is Revelation or a modern equivalent still available ? I ask because I saw a tin of it in my father's basement workshop (now filled with parts for something). Just curious. What kind of tobacco was it ? Thanks.
Sutliff has the closest match. The topping is a little stronger than the original, but it's the same rum topping. It has Va. burley, light perique, light Latakia. Check P&C, Tobacco Pipes, Smoking Pipes, etc. to see who carries it.

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Do you see that fine grain dark section grain in that pipe ? ... That's the part that gets hot on my Barontini like an open window ... stripped the varnish waiting for wax to arrive. In the meantime I just had a bowl of Old Toby and it didn't get as hot now that its stripped to bare briar.
You should have seen the pipe brand new. It was a Natural, and you can see how it has darkened over a couple of decades. I never cared for shiny pipes. I prefer the wood to breathe for a cooler smoke, and for the general aesthetic.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
So I found a cool little Sherlock Holmes crock I’ve been looking for at an Italian site (Pipeonline) and this Amorelli pipe caught my eye. Just started its inaugural bowl with some 2022 Warped: Scarecrow. I like this tobacco - getting Virginia mostly and the cocoa and vanilla in a something baked kind of way (not noticing any wine element which is fine) - this pipe is a good easy draw and we are sipping on the deck!BAD8538C-4BDF-4505-9BF7-D53837D285AE.jpeg

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Usual run about the stock this morning and smoking Stokkebye’s cube cut in a Charles Towne Cobbler.
We have daylight saving now, hate it with a passion and as a wise man once said to me “only a politician would think you can cut 2 inches off the top of a blanket and sow it onto the bottom of the blanket and think you have more blanket”…………..🤷‍♂️
View attachment 172706
Fellow cow farmer here. Cheers. That's some good lookin pasture there.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
So I found a cool little Sherlock Holmes crock I’ve been looking for at an Italian site (Pipeonline) and this Amorelli pipe caught my eye. Just started its inaugural bowl with some 2022 Warped: Scarecrow. I like this tobacco - getting Virginia mostly and the cocoa and vanilla in a something baked kind of way (not noticing any wine element which is fine) - this pipe is a good easy draw and we are sipping on the deck!View attachment 172712
I love the stem!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
You should have seen the pipe brand new. It was a Natural, and you can see how it has darkened over a couple of decades. I never cared for shiny pipes. I prefer the wood to breathe for a cooler smoke, and for the general aesthetic
I do too but I sanded it to bare wood and it needs just a little something for some protection, No ? Not a lot but just a light coat maybe ? I'm thinking of my Connouisser pipe that is natural but has a light wax coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.