PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Starting to dabble in some Gawith&Hoggarth samples graciously gifted me.
First up, Black Cherry Twist in an AND mini meer-my first
time with a twist.
Cigar-ish retrohale and strong but sweet solid VA with burley earth and tongue tingle. A couple times midway and later in bowl some slight black cherry or currant zest (real or imagined). Nic to me kicked in above medium.
Good stuff, even though my prep ws probably lacking.
691C0B2E-BCB5-48F0-8D24-A9CADB95AC90.jpeg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Going to have Vincent Manil Tabac de la Semois La Volute XXL Cut in what looks like an unstamped Butz-Choquin Acorn—I’m not sure if this is a knockoff, or an unsmoked pre-production model of the reissue; this has a spigot mount with a wooden stem instead of albatross bone, and a mouthpiece that appears to be made of acrylic with an orific bit instead of what would’ve probably been horn on the late 19th Century/early 20th Century version. There’s some decent birdseye and several fills, but I dig it.

IMG_20231113_222917.jpg

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
An Eric Nording smooth, straight-stem six-panel briar stuffed with WCC Rouxgaroux '23.
Both pipe and tobacco are a first smoke. I must say first off that I really like this pipe! The hexagon shape locks into my grip perfectly and it is light enough to clench well. It has a flat diamond shank and saddle stem. It is currently the only straight-stemmed pipe in my collection.

Rouxgaroux is an interesting blend with some nice complexity.
At first light the vinegar is right up front with a woody ever so slight BBQ taste in the background and a spicy tang mid tongue, kind of reminded me of cayenne pepper with a hint of sweetness.
At mid bowl the vinegar began to fade in and out, and the sweetness became more defined with an undertone of brown sugar. There was also a yeast/bread note coming forward and a bit of the red wine sourness in the background.
This all settled down to a flavor reminiscent of lightly sweet raisin bread without cinnamon.
I did notice a bit of a nic kick on the finish.

Though I did not have any to try it with, It occurred to me that this might pair nicely with a smooth, dark sipping rum.

I enjoyed this blend, but I think I will let it age a bit and try it again in 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.