PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Silverwing

Might Stick Around
Apr 14, 2024
Bowling Green, KY
I got this French estate pipe in last week and have been restoring it all week. It was the most disgusting pipe that a pipe cleaner has ever touched. Had to do tons of sanding a bubbling finish, and soaking the disgusting stem and stinger in alcohol, buffing with steel wool, sanding the top of the bowl, the whole works.

Even had a to fill a massive hole in the button, used super glue, a bit of cotton and some pipe ash. Sanded smooth and flat. Stem is freaking Cumberland I’m pretty sure, and it was still oxidized and had to be buffed and oiled!

Anyway, it’s been hard to wrap my head around putting this abhorrent thing pulled from the festering, sulphuric, pits of hell, into my mouth.

But here goes I guess.

I’m having some Ennerdale flake in a “Colombia” brand French smooth Apple with a tapered, straight, Cumberland stem, and coffee, and enjoying some nice weather with my best buddy, JFET.
IMG_0737.jpeg

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Int
@bluegrassbrian The Full Virginia Flake suits the King's Clay; going to get some loose Gawith Hoggarth to smoke in my clays when I go to Buxton; should I get a fresh Clay to smoke it in?
Fascinating proposition- I've never actually smoked a clay. My gut feeling is to use a well smoked one that's been used for Virginias- but I don't know how you do it.