PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I've been smoking quite a bit of Cornell & Diehl's "Big & Burley" lately, and really developing an appreciation for it. I smoke Old Joe Krantz most often, but while I love OJK I have one problem with it: no matter what I store the tobacco in, I always end up with an inch or more of mostly tobacco "dust." This dust (for lack of a better word) isn't very nice to smoke; it just doesn't burn right, and just somehow doesn't provide an enjoyable smoke for me. I can't put it any better than that! :) I don't know what it is about the tobacco that causes it> I smoke OJK bulk, and it's a little better when I buy a tin, But I smoke it regularly enough that it makes sense to buy bulk.

Anyway, I had some old Big & Burley that was pretty dried out, but I rehydrated it, and it smokes great! It's pretty close to OJK. OJK does have that bit more perique, so the B&B is lacking that slight bit of plum or prune tase, so it's definitely more of a straight burley experience, but it's got a little - I forget what, but a little virginia and a small bit of perique I think. But it's basically a nice, burley blend that DOES NOT give me that problem of the dusty remnants that are wasteful to just accumulate or throw out. I keep hoping I'll find a use for it - maybe rolling cigarettes?

So I'm thinking I'm going to try replacing OJK with Big & Burley for a couple of days and see how that goes. Have to put in an order for eight ounces or so, for starters. I usually have a bowl of Chelsea Morning or Early Morning Pipe or Carter Hall in the morning, and Bayou Night in the early evening - that's about as much latakia as I can handle!
mix that 'dust' into some Carter Hall to spice it up a bit?

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Bayou Morning x Morgan Bones straight sandblasted billiard
IMG_20230531_183609.jpgI'll be off for my annual 5-weeks Summer holiday within a month, and I bought this Morgan Bones to take it with me, as a workhorse pipe. It's my first Bones, and I spent a fair amount of time with sanding down the shank, since it was misaligned with the stem all around. I'm happy with the result, and I hope that this issue is not too common with bones pipes because I have a Balldesian on my list. That shape is really nice but I would hate to sand again. I know, it's a kind of budget pipe, but this kind of thing triggers my OCD. I don't mind natural flaws in the wood though. Otherwise, engineering, drilling, sandblasting are perfect. Quite nice overall quality for the price.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am smoking Wilke Vice Cat in a medium bend fumed tan crackled year 2020 Ahmet Govem reverse calabash meerschaum with a military mount silver band and black acrylic stem. Working on a review of this blend. The Braves-A's game is about to start, too.
Ahmet Govem reverse calabash meer.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Just to add confusion: I recently tried both, and so far I prefer the Old German.

Though it has only been a few bowls in each so far, I get a lot of ash in my mouth with the OD Jamestowne.
@aspiring_sage Probably due to the wider draw on the Jamestowne compared to my other clays such as the Pollock & Old German / Markus Fohr pipes. Going to get some more loose Gawith Hoggarth to smoke in my clays.

Status
Not open for further replies.