PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Smoking SG 1792 with @Fralphog at Sturman’s Cigar and Wine!
View attachment 294420

A wonderful evening of pipe smoking camaraderie as we swapped some blends to take home and delved into several great tobaccos!
Brought the MM little cob and the Ali Dubmeer pipe.
@PrivatePiping cracked his 1792 tin for our first smoke. Very good baccy with that unique and enjoyable Tonkin flavor woven into the wonderful, rich tobacco flavor. Clearly some quality leaf. The Tonkin was very prominent in the first 1/3 of the bowl, but seemed to wain quite a bit. I’ve got a few more flakes from @PrivatePiping, so I’ll try smoking them in a different pipe to see if it changes.
I also will dry the flakes out before smoking them, it took several relights to finally get the bowl going.
I also enjoyed three great Peretti blends for the first time:

Smith’s Own - a classic, balanced English blend, very smooth
Burley blend 333- pure wonderful Burley.
Cuban Mixture- really nice blend that provides a super smooth, full tobacco flavor with subtle flavor accents from the many tobaccos in this blend. The cigar leaf really shines in this blend.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
So what’d y’all think?
I really enjoyed it. Need to smoke a few more flakes in different pipes. I used a small cob to smoke it. The Tonkin seemed to fade a lot a 1/3 into the smoke. Of course the quality leaf in this continues to please with the smooth, rich flavor from the Va and Kentucky. Going to smoke 1792 and KBV Patience of Dr. Silence to compare.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Many thanks for the numerous congratulations folks. I now have a son-in-law. The family claims I hesitated when it came to handing her over, but I maintain that a three-minute pause for final consideration was more than reasonable. Also, by the time the formalities were over, it was way too windy and cold for a pipe on the patio. What a swizz! Someone took my daughter and I didn't even get a decent smoke out of it.
Rant over😁

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Slept a little, but I'm awake and a third of the way through this bowl of Watch City Original Crumb Cut in a 1950s-60s straight smooth brown Bertram 07 octagonal paneled billiard with a square shank and a tapered black vulcanite stem. It's raining, so I let Daisy the Feral Princess and Tomato the Brave in the house. Sam the Scamp was hiding under the deck, but he came out to eat.
Bertram_07 _panel_billiard.jpg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I didn't know Gitanes still exist. I guess we are talking non filter. I tried them decades ago. Good smokes and such an elegant package. I kept one as souvenir. I also liked Player's, beatiful package too.
Here in Greece, we had and still have some decent (some are more than decent) non filters, produced with bright, not dark tobaccos. My smoking cigarettes period is a few months per year, mostly in summer. I smoke up to 10 pcs per day. But non filters are now too "heavy" for me, I can't do it any more... Age sucks!

View attachment 294309
I loved the packaging too but unfortunately they’re now in that horrible cow pat green packets and covered in warnings. I don’t think Players are available anymore here, the only filterless cigs I’ve found are Woodbines and the quality of those isn’t what it used to be. I think the overall quality of cigarette tobacco has plummeted recently and they’re rolled very loosely these days too burning much faster than I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.