PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Is this an army mount or no?
Hello @AroEnglish. I had to go back to see which pipe you were referring to. Then I had to confirm what defines an army or military mount. Having done so, the answer to your question is I'm not entirely sure. Like most army mounts, the stem does not have a typical tenon with a smaller diameter than the shaft. But unlike paradigmatic army mounts, the stem doesn't taper and there is not a metal fitting on the end of the shank to receive it. I believe the purpose of an army mount was to permit the pipe to be broken down when it was still hot without damaging the mortise. I can easily remove the stem, even during a smoke, without affecting the connection. And because the stem of this pipe has a mortise that is deeper than the end of the stem, which allows the stem to be held in by friction, I would have to come down on the side of saying yes, it is a arm/military mount.

Sorry for the longwinded explanation. Do you have an opinion?
IMG_7601.jpegIMG_7602.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Passing the half way mark of this bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Going to be another busy day.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
King, I’ve always thought people should get assigned the stretch of land to clean that they get caught littering on instead of a fine. Some people have more money than sense. Time, however, is valuable to most everyone!

Thanks for making this world a cleaner place!
@Speak Easy Many thanks for the kind words!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Hello @AroEnglish. I had to go back to see which pipe you were referring to. Then I had to confirm what defines an army or military mount. Having done so, the answer to your question is I'm not entirely sure. Like most army mounts, the stem does not have a typical tenon with a smaller diameter than the shaft. But unlike paradigmatic army mounts, the stem doesn't taper and there is not a metal fitting on the end of the shank to receive it. I believe the purpose of an army mount was to permit the pipe to be broken down when it was still hot without damaging the mortise. I can easily remove the stem, even during a smoke, without affecting the connection. And because the stem of this pipe has a mortise that is deeper than the end of the stem, which allows the stem to be held in by friction, I would have to come down on the side of saying yes, it is a arm/military mount.

Sorry for the longwinded explanation. Do you have an opinion?
View attachment 293065View attachment 293066
Thanks for the write up and more photos of your beautiful pipe!

See the straight tenon (rather than a tapered one) would land me in the side of saying it’s not. But I don’t make pipes so what do I know 😅 Well one thing I do know is that pipe is absolutely goreousssssss 😍😍😍

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Did a set of walking reps under cloudy, very humid skies, and have about a quarter of a bowl left of year 2016 D&R Three Sails in an undated straight brush etched black Molina apple with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem. Have a little back stiffness, too.
Molina_Apple.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.