PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and have passed the half way mark of this bowl of year 2012 Esoterica Dunbar in a smooth straight, dark brown early 1960s Lane era Charatan Selected 43 Dublin with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. This pipe was formerly owned by actor William Conrad.
Conrad-Dublin copy.jpg

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Last couple of bowls of Chenet’s cake, 4 tins I smoked up fast af after letting them sit for a year. Just ordered 3 8 oz tins, 2 to age, I’ll be getting more soon to keep a large supply aging as it’s quite possibly my favorite current production blend. Pipe to smoke is one of my favorites, Eltang long shank Dublin snail with camel bone.
IMG_8723.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Did a little low calorie snacking, and am near the last third of this bowl of year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a very much appreciated 1979 brown, slight bend grain etched flat front Stanwell Rego 969-48 (09) with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Stanwell Rego 969-48 (09).jpg

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Germain Rich Dark Flake in a Heeschen Bent P
20230623_212714-jpg.229242

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Passing the half way mark of this bowl of 2021 Watch City Simply VOriental in a straight smooth medium brown 1930s Wilshire 5 bulldog (Comoy’s second) made for John’s Pipe Shop in Los Angeles with a black vulcanite saddle stem.
 Wilshire 5 bulldog.jpg

Sam the Scamp and Abner the Eager showed up in the rain to eat, and I brought them inside for a while. Daisy the Feral Princess isn't thrilled at all. She really dislikes Sam for some reason. She gave up trying to intimating him because I scolded her, and took a snooze. I was surprised that Tomato the Brave stayed outside, but he was snuggled up in a comforter, and probably too lazy to move.

Abner enjoying the warmth of my lap.
AbnerLapAwake1.jpg

Sam the Scamp snoozin'.
Sam_Sleep_UnderBlanket2.jpg

DaisyNap.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty Snap Dragon apple, and my last smoke of the day is Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. Reading while this bowl lasts.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I'm going a little out of character tonight and smoking a rather stout blend, Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired in the Morgan Bones Milan.

I haven't had Dark Fired Kentucky in a long while so I figured I'd give it a go, and while it is very tasty I'm definitely discovering that I really shouldn't retrohale anything with Perique or DFK in it since they're quite abrasive on the sinuses. Normally when I'm smoking my pipes I retrohale at least 30% of the time, since I find it really helps me taste the tobacco better, but it certainly seems that any blend containing Perique or DFK will leave me with sore and inflamed sinuses for a day or two afterwards if I retrohale them. The only exception has been Orlik Golden Sliced, since the teeny tiny amount of Perique in that blend doesn't bother my sinuses except towards the very bottom of the bowl.

So, a bit of a bummer in that regard but otherwise I can certainly see why Old Dark Fired is so popular! The earthy, woodsy, barbeque pit flavor with just a touch of sourness is really pleasant, and when sipped gently the nicotine content is strong but not overwhelming. It's a nice blend, though I think I'll stick to smoking blends without Perique or DFK in them if for no other reason than to save myself the sore sinuses. 😅

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.