Kansas City Missouri
Unmarried, just freshly blended Black Maria Version 2

3 pts Sutliff Virginia Slices
2 pts Sutliff TS 23 Black Cavendish
1 pt Sutliff Maryland
0.75 pt Sutliff Latakia
0.75 pt Sutliff Perique
0.50 pt Sutliff Turkish

Working on an American/English blend that is both mild and has some body. This might do it. I think it could be improved with a touch of a vanilla note. It's there in the black cavendish. The Virginia Slices are an interesting way to introduce Virginia.
View attachment 210973
Nice pipe!
What’s the verdict - have you successfully replicated Black Maria?

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Nice pipe!
What’s the verdict - have you successfully replicated Black Maria?
I'm in the neighborhood. I know the proportions of Latakia and Perique. I know it has Virginia as well as black cavendish. I am finding that the Maryland adds some mild notes and the Turkish... not sure yet. When Dengler finally retires the store once and for all, Larry has started he will share some of the formulas of blends I enjoy. I will say this, the blend I mentioned I whipped up was EXTREMELY GOOD.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Sutliff Anomalous in a Penn Valley Gouda Clay.

The tin note after sitting for a while gives raisins, citrus and lemon. Upon lighting and smoking for while, the predominant flavor is raisins. The Red Virginia follows up as a secondary one after the initial draw. Has sweet, full mouthfeel.

There is a nutty, full bass note from the Burley and Cavendish. At about the halfway point I’m noticing a sharp spicy note. I’m just lazily smoking this, not really trying to pick out any nuances.

I will say that it was worth the effort to grab some if this as it is very unusual - a very pleasant smoke…

1D200D27-51DB-482E-9F8B-BEB250B9E7F6.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Finished work, and fed Molly Danger, who promptly threw it all up, and after standing there yowling for me to clean it up -which I did - then wanted more food. Hopefully, she won't hairball this batch.

I'm half way through this bowl of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. Time to check on the ferals.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.