PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
Former Straight Grain Flake (early ‘00s) in my Castello bulldog.

View attachment 69249

I'm a sucker for bulldogs and that is a beauty!

- - -

Kicking off the weekend with a bowl of McC's '16 Christmas Cheer in this Doctor's Bamboozled Crazy Bent Pot and a cup of black coffee. Really interesting watching the bamboo "age" as you look it:

gR83w6xl.jpg

Please excuse the dirty nails, I'm watching the EPL and whittling a piece of briar LOL

Rpink53

Can't Leave
Jan 31, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
PS Luxury Twist Flake in a Ryan Alden Military Mount. I’m glad I bought a bunch of this in 2014. Some of my first big bulk purchases, but I didn’t really care too much for it and have regretted buying it. Flash forward 6 years. Age has been good to this blend. Very good.

View attachment 69248
Good to hear. I have a few ounces of young LTF. I've only tried a bowl and down right hated it, which I was surprised about because I've liked all other PS blends. I'll bury this for a few years.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I‘ve been taking it easy with the pipe purchases for lately, but sometimes one excuse is as good as another, so, back on International Pipe Smoking Day, I stopped into the local B&M. They didn’t have a pipe that fit what I was looking for, so I picked up a few tins and a half dozen boxes of Cigarettellos. I surfed around smokingpipes.com when I got home and found what I was looking for:

2974A80E-DC89-44C8-9217-4E94B54551BB.jpeg

Nothing fancy, and more traditional than I’ve been picking up for the last few years. It’s as close in shape and dimension as the first pipe I ever bought. The few Butz-Choquin pipes I already have are good smokers, nice wood, feel good in the hand. I pulled the trigger, along with a couple tubs and a bunch of pipe cleaners.

0DFEBEC3-4D76-4AB6-B2E0-F136B8D5E208.jpeg

The stem is vulcanite. I like acrylic stems well enough, but there’s nothing like a vulcanite button for clenching and hanging. It arrived late for the occasion, of course, and I waited for a day off afterward to try it out. The first few days off, I mostly spent at the hospital where I work (though as a visitor), so the inaugural smoke was further delayed. It was well worth it, though. I think my Dad appreciated the company.

I don’t practice a formal break-in routine for a new pipe. I just smoke the hell out of it at the beginning. Back before the move from Chicago, I‘d put a new pipe through a dozen or more bowls in the first two days, then give it a rest, but I don’t smoke nearly as much anymore. Day 1 I burned a couple bowls of Prince Albert and a bowl of Hearth & Home Mid Town Chestnut, day 2 I burned a bowl of Granger and a couple bowls of Edward G. Robinson. This morning, I decided this pipe was ready to progress beyond the ribbon cut phase.

As I type this, I’m smoking this:

B5F9E141-DF82-43BD-B071-4521C1E6C0D9.jpeg

I’ve got a bunch of this jarred from a few boxes purchased previously, but 1792 is a recently acquired taste, so my stash needed some fortification. I took advantage of the recent Samuel Gawith drop in a big way. I didn’t make a pig of myself all in one place, though; a half dozen tins here, a dozen there, spread over several retailers.

Despite buzz about tin condition issues, of the (XX) tins I purchased, only one tin exhibited any inordinate malformation. And though I have a jar of I’ve been actively dipping out of, I thought it would be appropriate to sample a little out of this recent production run, so I popped the visibly dinged-up tin.

Plenty of vacuum. I probably didn’t have to worry about it for storage.

I usually rub out 1792 flakes, or I roll and stuff if I’m taking it out for a walk. This new BC has a chamber a little wider than the majority of my recently acquired smoking tools, so I thought I’d try out something a little different.

D7E31202-DC73-4563-BD75-4DA6E081FAE0.jpeg

I rubbed out a little for a base layer, cube cut the rest for gravity fill. I didn’t leave it out to dry too long. I char-lit, tamped lightly, let it go out, then lit up for the ride.

The batch is good, the smoke feels and tastes great. This pipe is terrific! Starbuck’s House Blend is the chaser. I’m going to shut up now and enjoy the rest of this bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.