PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Last flake of a jar of PSLNF in a Stefano rhodesian. No need to break into the pound I have squirreled away in the cellar, as I get to try Peterson DNR next, which I'm obviously looking forward to. 9.1/10

Bird report: California scrub-jay, House finch, Band-tailed pigeon, Steller's jay, American crow, California towhee, Hairy woodpecker, Mountain chickadee, Red-tailed hawk, and Western bluebird.

Although I'm enjoying my usual VAs and VaPers as spring turns to summer, I'll be very happy when sweater weather comes around again...

stefano.jpg

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
Might try putting it in the refrigerator or freezer til it gets cold which just might shrink the tamper enough to remove it. Remove the stem before doing so. This has worked for me more than once on very snug items.

>> Hi Thanks will try. apparently previous owner tried to remove the button and unscrewed it. Will probably need real force to remove, and i am afraid i might ruin the pipe puffy puffy puffy . However will try the fridge method (like we do unscrewing tight tenon/stems)

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Luxury Navy Flake from 2013 in a Hardcastle Regency Apple.
This was the first briar pipe I bought in about 2005.
I got it on ebay for $8 with free shipping.
Its ugly, and a bit small, but it;s a great smoker .... especially flake.
Ugly in the very bald with no grain way.
View attachment 318481
That type of "ugly" briar .... to me .... has its own beauty, functional simplicity, its own regal bearing.
I've got couple of these simple "ugly" briars, notably a wonderful Lorenzo Oom Paul.
I'm not sure that lacking straight grain or birds eye they smoke worse. Years back, an employee of the old Edward's Pipe & Tobacco offered the opinion that straight grain directs the heat upwards, enhancing the burn & the smoke. He also offered that birds eye directs the heat sideways, leading to a cooler smoke.
I've never had such refined abilities to notice.

Last edited:

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
CRF'23 in Pete SS303. Yum.
View attachment 318264
Excellent pipe! My Pete SS303 is the same except smooth. I have two Pete SS302's like your 303, with that (to me) older style Donegal Rocky finish .... plus love the fishtail stem. I don't really care for the new style Donegal Rocky finish, looking like to get what they call a sandblasted finish, it looks like they basically just chopped out or gouged out the briar.

Last edited:

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Yup, this forum has many of the same friendly dynamics. Of course, one big difference is that we don't get to physically share whatever tobaccos we brought plus see their pipes.
After 9 months straight of attending & enjoying our Pipe Club gatherings, I (sadly) had to miss last night. Needed to "be there" to comfort somebody I care about who just suddenly lost her sister -- passed in less than 2 weeks after notifying her of her rapidly declining, always poor health. The damn Grim Reaper took another.
NOTE: I'll be looking forward to July's Pipe Club gathering (!).

(Quote) Missed you @Sandblast, hope all is well. (Quote)
Thanks, BenMN. I'm still holding that tin for you. : )
Nice to "see" you here. Thanks for checking in

Sorry to hear about your friend's loss