PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jars and seven millimeter mylars, which I heat seal. I'm not crazy about food saver bags as they are porous, and would never recommend them.
All I had hoped for was to keep the salt away, living at the beach, and most have in fact expanded so you are right. I have more than I can smoke so may auction the good tins and jar anything that's suspicious for my own use. But, you would probably strongly agree that those light tins have to be replaced soon, wouldn't you? That would include GLP, McClelland, etc. but not the solid European tins? TIA for any advice.

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Trying out Peter Stokkebye PS24 Nougat for the second time tonight, in my trusty Morgan Bones Milan.
I usually enjoy aromatics and Peter Stokkebye is a good blender, but for some reason I just don't get much flavor from this one. Even when kept burning slow and cool with just a tiny ember lit, I don't get much more than a watered down burley nuttiness and a very mild marshmallowy flavor. The room note is fantastic, almost like fresh baked cookies, but the actual flavor of the smoke is so mild that I really have to search hard to taste anything.
In spite this blend's rather legendary status from being the tobacco that was smoked on set in the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings films, I'm just not really digging it. PS24 Nougat isn't a bad blend, it's just mild to the point of being uninteresting; to me at least.
Hello Skippy -- I'm in the Twin Cities, also.
NOTE: I can certainly toss out an invitation to you to attend our Pipe Club gathering, 3rd Tue each month.
But .... I've never tried PS24 & am curious. I'd be happy to meet with you sometime, somewhere & maybe "horse trade" you for a sample of your PS24 with an equal amount of some other type (or two) of a different Aro that you might enjoy. You did say you usually enjoy aromatics.

Last edited:

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Bill Bailey’s Balkan Blend in a Castillo Sea Rock Dublin.

1707637774982.jpeg

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Jokes aside, tonight I'm smoking the current Mac Baren produced Bell's Three Nuns in a Missouri Meerschaum County Gentleman and gosh is this a great blend! I know the current Three Nuns gets a lot of flack for not containing any Perique, but I think it's a great blend in it's own right. It's mostly nice middle of the road Virginias, not too bright nor too dark, with a good helping of Mac Baren's smokey barbecue tasting Dark Fired Kentucky added in and just a few drops of honey for sweetness. The nicotine content is pretty all day friendly for a DFK blend too, I'd say about a 6 out of 10 on the strength scale. Give this one a try if you like Virginias and Dark Fired Kentucky.puffy
Just a thought --- to address the lack of any Perique, you could always mix it 50/50 with some type of VaPer (Exclusive, Fillmore, etc) or sprinkle in some type of straight blending Perique. I'll sometime do this with Mac Baren's Roll Cake, giving me my own version of Royal Twist.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
IMG_4462.jpegI’ve been smoking my two Savinelli pipes and other meers, giving this Tekin meerschaum a rest. It needed to have the thick layer of cake scraped out and I just got that finished. This thing almost looks fumed now which is pretty wild. I have a coloring thread that I need to update on this pipe.

Here’s the same Tekin meerschaum after just a few smokes when I first got it in Dec.
IMG_2653.jpeg

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Last smoke of the day is year 2020 Angler's Dream in a 1984 Stanwell Antique 124 egg with a smooth brown front and a black sandblasted back with a dark gold ferrule and black vulcanite stem in the military mount style.
View attachment 319730
1984? Could this be an early version of Stanwell's Vario finish?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Did a little low calorie snacking, and am smoking Wilke No. 72 in a pre-1974 dark brown straight Larus & Brother Co. Signature billiard with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem with the initials LCR on the top of the stem. This blend was smoked by Walter Cronkite. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Working and listening to Gunsmoke from my radio collection.
Larus and Brother pot.jpg

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Just a thought --- to address the lack of any Perique, you could always mix it 50/50 with some type of VaPer (Exclusive, Fillmore, etc) or sprinkle in some type of straight blending Perique. I'll sometime do this with Mac Baren's Roll Cake, giving me my own version of Royal Twist.

Alas Perique is the one kind of tobacco I can't, or at the very least shouldn't, smoke. Any time I smoke a blend with even a little Perique in it I get a sore throat for a day or two afterwards, so I tend to just avoid anything with Perique in it. The one exception has been Peterson Nightcap, since for some reason that one doesn't bother me. I'm guessing cool soothing effect of the Latakia in it cancels out the irritation I'd normally get from Perique.

Speaking of Nightcap, I happen to be smoking some right now; in a Rossi Piccolo.puffy

IMG20240409031527~3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.