PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimK

Lifer
Feb 11, 2021
Good morning all! A bit of mayhem here, with two tree crews working at our house and next door performing the "Ritual East Coast Florida Pre-Hurricane Season Tree Work" so a quiet, contemplative bowl of anything is ... out the window for the next three hours. Nonetheless, starting with my go-to blend for any circumstance, namely St. Bruno RR in an Upshall sandblast Bulldog with smooth rim and hex shank with saddle stem size 4.

MrTom

Lifer
Oct 20, 2019
Liverpool, UK.
Good morning everyone, I want to warn any Brits thinking of ordering from Estervals, I just got a £200 Customs bill for six tins of tobacco. I either pay (which will work out at around £50/$75 a tin) or I lose the tobacco and the £70 I paid for it.
Even winning a alligator covered Longchamp on eBay just now can’t take the sting out of this news.
I also just got my tin of 2016 Dunhill 221b, if anyone wants to buy it from me I’m only asking £200. ?
I’m smoking Tuskegee Airman in the Kiko meer poker with my coffee this morning, Prozac and Valium instead of milk and sugar today ?
@Birddog66 I ordered for the first time from the US to the UK, and it was received with no customs duty. But on the second attempt they slammed a huge duty, so I let it be returned to the US and the online shop paid back my cost of the tobacco & I lost out only on shipping. So you may be lucky and the shop will reimburse you when returned.
Good Afternoon Folks, Home Mix in an Aldo Morelli Calabash.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Wow, that does sting. I don't make light of it as I fear that storm is brewing here in the states. Do these steep customs fees also apply to tins sent by forum members? I get packages from my family in Spain for the cost of shipping and the packages don't seem to be opened before it gets to me. Never tried with tobacco though.
No fortunately everything I’ve been sent by forum members in the US has made it through with no problems. Same when I send to America so far thank heavens ? ??

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Wow, that does sting. I don't make light of it as I fear that storm is brewing here in the states. Do these steep customs fees also apply to tins sent by forum members? I get packages from my family in Spain for the cost of shipping and the packages don't seem to be opened before it gets to me. Never tried with tobacco though.

If you want to order from estervals it might be best to have it sent to family in the EU and have them send it on.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Just got home from Brighton and my second jab. I took the opportunity to look around some second hand/antique shops for pipes, I did see a nice Lorenzo tugboat with a crocodile skin type carving, and cheap too but I resisted the urge to buy it.
Now it’s Miss River Rum Barrel in the CDL and Navy Rum with grapefruit, pineapple and lime. image.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
2019 C&D Sansepolcro in a Poul Winsløw Crown 300 Bent Egg.

74-EE6-A80-127-B-47-E1-AF39-82-C3-E55-F6595.jpg

MrTom

Lifer
Oct 20, 2019
Liverpool, UK.
@FirCoat After being stung by the customs for buying from a US online shop, I had an American friend send me some US tobacco as a gift, but the customs put a huge charge on it & I had it returned to my US friend.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Not far from finishing this bowl of circa year 2000 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Been enjoying the new book about Jack Kirby that came in the mail this afternoon. Several quotes from my interviews with Roy Thomas and Carmine Infantino appear in the book.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

JimK

Lifer
Feb 11, 2021
A soothing bowl of Rattray Bagpiper's Dream in a Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro 824 smooth Billiard with flattened shank and matching stem. Having tree work done - just had our new weather station destroyed by an errant bobcat driver who then knocked over a ten foot speciman planting. Could have been worse, but I'd rather not think how.

Status
Not open for further replies.