PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
That is a beautiful Ropp too! I think I’m going to start a “Show Us Your Ropp” thread sometime this week, unless someone wants to beat me to it. There have been some beautiful pipes posted in here in the past few months. Need to get em all together for the Ropp fans😁.

Good idea. I have a new Ropp on the way!

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Wow -- here it is, Mon evening, July 1st, just after "dinner hour" and already Page 7. Looks like the makings for a dynamic month of "What Are You Smoking, July 2024?" with plenty of magnificent pipes upon which I can really feast my eyes!
Starting out the month by filling a Stanwell 63 Smooth with Rattray's Black VA and a Stanwell 64 Vario with the same, but which I enhanced with about 25% C&D Granulated Perique. I'll smoke the 63 about halfway, set it aside and smoke the 64, also about halfway. This'll give me an opportunity to compare & see how the Black VA does as a homemade VaPer. It shines as a blending tobacco, but also nice just to smoke on its own. This'll also give me 2 DGT bowls for tomorrow, which I enjoy.
NOTE: I'm also planning on making another small batch homemade recipe with, again, the Black VA mixed with about 25% McClelland Blending Oriental .... or I could use some Smyrna, courtesy of a Pipe Club friend. And later this week, I'm thinking about one more recipe, the Black VA mixed with, again, about 25% Burley.

1719888221210.png 1719888294794.png

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a big and tasty golden delicious apple, and am smoking 2021 Watch City Simply VOriental in a straight smooth medium brown 1930s Wilshire 5 bulldog (Comoy’s second) made for John’s Pipe Shop in Los Angeles with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Working and listening to The Jack Benny Program from my radio collection.
 Wilshire 5 bulldog.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Fed my cats, all the feral except for Abner the Eager who wasn't here today as far as I know. I'm smoking Hearth & Home AJ’s Vaper in a pre-1952 Sutliff Falcon 372 (made by Comoy’s) smooth light brown straight bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem. It's time to listen to Fibber McGee and Molly.
Comoy's_Sutliff_Falcon372_Bulldog.jpg

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
As I get towards the tail end of my selection of strong blends to try, tonight I'm sampling Samuel Gawith 1792 flake in the usual Bones!

IMG20240701230656~2.jpg

It took about 8 (eight!) hours to dry enough to smoke after rubbing out a flake since the humidity is rather high here in Minnesota, but my patience was rewarded with a very tasty smoke! The dark fired Kentucky and Virginias are mellow and smooth, and I had never had tonquin bean before but I really like the subtle vanilla note it adds! This definitely isn't an aromatic, nor is it a terribly complex smoke, it's just a simple and satisfying good blend. It has required quite a few relights even after it's lengthy dry time, but that seems to be par for the course with Samuel Gawith flakes of any kind.

Speaking of satisfaction, the nicotine content in this one is very high! I'd give it about an 8 out of 10 on the strength scale and smoking it on an empty stomach had me putting the pipe down to take a little break after 20 minutes or so of smoking. Make no mistake, no matter how high you might think your nicotine tolerance is this stuff will kick your butt if you don't respect it and take your time sipping it. That's just fine by me though, since it's a darn tasty tobacco and I'm in no hurry to finish this pipe.puffy

Edit: As an aside, if you like Peterson Irish Flake you'll probably like Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake as well; or vice versa! They're very similar blends with a mellow and smooth mix of dark fired and bright Virginia tobaccos that pack about as strong of a Vitamin N punch as you can get short of smoking straight Perique, they just have a little different toppings. Irish Flake has a bit of licorice and a very lightly floral Lakeland style essence, whereas 1792 Flake has the tonquin bean that gives it a soft vanilla flavor and an even more subtle floral note that I find myself having to really look hard for to notice. They're quite similar though and both pretty dang great!

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Half way through this bowl of year 2020 Angler's Dream in a 2018 natural smooth medium bend Peterson 03 apple silver spigot military mount with a tapered black acrylic fish tail stem. I'll end the day with this smoke. I managed to get all the ferals fed without much problem. It just took some time. Still no Abner the Eager. I was a bit surprised that Harry the Hairy kept trying to climb up on me. I picked him up and rubbed his back as I held him. Every time I tried to put him down, he started squirming up my chest to the top of my right shoulder. He didn't want to be put down, but after ten minutes or so, I did that so I could feed him. I knew he liked me, and I suppose I should have realized he did to this degree considering how he follows me around when I'm outside. When I sit down, he jumps on my lap. He always looks sad when I go inside because he knows I won't let him do that. I don't think anybody ever showed him any attention before he came here judging by how he reacts to me and m'lady. He's become very needy.
Peterson03_Natural_Spigot_2Stems.jpg
HarryLounge2.jpg