PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I also had my first bowl of Sutliff 707 a few nights ago and it was quite a rough smoke, really hot and not really great. I set it aside in the jar to revisit after a few months, and I’ll definitely try drying it for a lot longer than I did this last time.
I had a small pinch later that night after drying for a few hours. A little better ... less pine flavor and more acidic lemon; also less tongue and nasal bite. I suspect it needs some age to tone down topping note. I will also try mixing it eventually. It must be slow sipped not aggressively smoked if you know what I mean.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Both of those blends are fantastic on their own. Winchester is one of probably 4-5 blends that could satisfy me if it was all I had to smoke.
@LeafErikson I was smoking C&D Winchester in my clay pipe on my first visit to the Sealed Knot Battle of Nantwich in 2023; this year it was SG 1792 Flake in Ye Olde Clay!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I had a small pinch later that night after drying for a few hours. A little better ... less pine flavor and more acidic lemon; also less tongue and nasal bite. I suspect it needs some age to tone down topping note. I will also try mixing it eventually. It must be slow sipped not aggressively smoked if you know what I mean.
@Hillcrest Not like these guys:
:)

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Probably gonna be a slower pipe day at work today, working with a new guy on the crew that’s been a little lazy so the old guy’s gotta show him what’s expected😉
Had the Briarlee Illustrious full of Three Sails on the way in though, I’m thinking I need a couple half gallon mason jars and a couple more pounds of this stuff to languish for some time…
IMG_1364.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Starting off my smoking day with a bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.