PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Photo on 7-9-24 at 7.25 AM.jpg
Pipe Maker with Orientals. Sometimes, a smoke with these older American "drug store" pipes is just the thing. My old Pipe Maker pipe pipes, probably made by Whitehall, smoke almost as well as anything in my collection. They are reminiscent of that time when men reached for a handsome briar and enjoyed a morning smoke while reading the paper.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Finally trying out the last pure Virginia blend in my cellar that I hadn't smoked yet, Peter Stokkebye PS402 Luxury Twist Flake! I'm giving it a try in a Dr. Grabow Royalton.puffy

View attachment 322772

I had put off trying this one for a long while since the tin note absolutely reeks of artificial popcorn butter and coconut oil, but much to my surprise it tastes nothing like it smells! It's a really smooth medium bodied pure Virginia blend without much in the way of grassy high notes or earthy low notes, it's just a very middle of the road slightly bready Virginia with a fairly subtle topping that's a little caramely tasting but not particularly sweet.

This really is an excellent Virginia flake that's much less aromatic than the tin note would lead you to believe. The square cut spiral patterned flakes are quite beautiful to look at too!
Home stoving LTF is very rewarding, in my humble experience.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Having some Gawith Hoggarth Dark Bird's Eye in a Dr. Grabow Lark at the moment.

IMG20240702200745~2.jpg

I've been working on cutting down on my cigarette smoking lately and the nicotine cravings can be a real bear sometimes, but Dark Bird's Eye is great help! The shag cut makes it really quick and easy to pack and light in pretty much any weather condition with no rubbing out or dry time required, and it'll definitely scratch the nicotine itch after about 10 minutes or so of gentle sipping. The smoke is smooth as silk on the retrohale and has a really pleasant dark fired chocolatey flavor. For anyone that could use some help with cigarette smoking cessation, Gawith's Dark Bird's Eye is an excellent blend for it!puffy

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NW Missouri
Watch City Cigar’s American Cut Plug in a Missouri Meerschaum Rob Roy. Thanks @JimInks for working with Mr. Ernie to bring us such a fine tobacco. It is my smoke of choice when working in the yard. It seldom needs a relight, so I don’t have to hose the caked dirt off my hands more than a couple times in a mid-sized bowl.

1st pipe of the morning today was some 4th Gen 1931 in the Armellini Calumet, which was intended for my last smoke of the night last night. However, i passed out before i reached for it and woke to find my Rad Davis, still half filled with Cobblestone Hiking, laying beside me. So now i shall finish that half bowl and get off to making eggs and sausage. ;)

Arm Calumet 1931.JPG

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
IMG_0471.jpeg
Smoking the last of my LTF sample in my Brebbia Root Briar acorn (straight soldier-mount stem, quarter bent stummel). It works well with the wider bowl at around .81”, the different flavors/notes can explore themselves a little better. I still think this blend is a “No” for me… it’s too “casing forward” for my taste (I think Jim Inks would use the phrase: “The casing subliminates the tobacco”). As far as I venture into the aromatic/cased pipe tobaccos is when I smoke Navy Flake 😂

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
1st pipe of the morning today was some 4th Gen 1931 in the Armellini Calumet, which was intended for my last smoke of the night last night. However, i passed out before i reached for it and woke to find my Rad Davis, still half filled with Cobblestone Hiking, laying beside me. So now i shall finish that half bowl and get off to making eggs and sausage. ;)

View attachment 322942
I’m glad I wasn’t the pipe maker drilling THAT draft hole 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.